Switchblade Key "How to"

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
migui_blu
Getting There!
Drives: 6N2

Switchblade Key "How to"

Post by migui_blu »

I've seen this topic in a few forums, thanks to a few guys I was able to do this:

www.lowdub.com/switchbladekey.pdf

Enjoy :D
bstardchild

Re: Switchblade Key "How to"

Post by bstardchild »

migui_blu wrote:I've seen this topic in a few forums, thanks to a few guys I was able to do this:

www.lowdub.com/switchbladekey.pdf

Enjoy :D
Top Job 8)
migui_blu
Getting There!

Post by migui_blu »

Cheers mate I can't really take the credit though.

However, I do plan to actually compile some more I might actually use my own pictures and steps. Don't expect them any time soon though. Money, time, moving house...

Cheers
Pedro_Hilario
Bronze Member

Post by Pedro_Hilario »

Just a few reminders

1 - You can still get the job done with manual tools if you have one of those little iron "sanders" ( what in hell is the correct word in english?) Lima de Ferro in portuguese ( i know, that doesn't help!)

2 - To get the immobiliser in it without messing the VW symbol you should do as shown here http://www.cleaned.be/gfx/faq/8/foto07.jpg and http://www.cleaned.be/gfx/faq/8/foto08.jpg

3 - And as to the final part : the portuguese forum explains how to get the key transponder working with your cars remote central locking. But this is only for Ibizas, Golf's IV and other cars that already came with a factory key that opens the doors at the touch of a button. For the Polo's you would have to change all the locks for those in the MKV for this to work. But you can get your alarm into the keyfob. But that's trickier. I'm still trying to do it myself. Some alarms are a straight fit, other, like mine, are not.

Nice and easy job, good DIY Migui_blu, gracias

Pedro
AKs_SlickPolo
Gold Member

Post by AKs_SlickPolo »

okay im trying to do this and ive done it by ripping the vw badge off, oh yes there is the logo edges starting to peel off and it kinda cracked. I took the screw off, but it still doesnt pull apart????? can any1 help????
Del_GTi
Gold Member

Post by Del_GTi »

I did this mod, still trying to get it to lock and unlock my car.

Anyway, if you have already split the key in two, then what i used was a small flat blade screwdriver in at the edge where you have split it from the other side of the key and gentle wedge it apart. It's very tight but you should get it.
AKs_SlickPolo
Gold Member

Post by AKs_SlickPolo »

Yeah its opened with some brutal force. Ive fitted a central locking kit that has a similar shaped circuit board as the one in the original key so am gonna put that in there, but first i want to sort out the key and transponder.

The thing is i have no spare key. so ill have 2 get one cut. mk4 polo keys have a transponder to decode the immobilser so where is the transponder of the switchblade key? is it in the metal key bit itself? any1 know where u can get laser cut transponder keys cut in london? ive tried timpsons, they said they cant do the laser keys.
bsodmike
Getting There!

Post by bsodmike »

I thought the transponder was the chippy bit inside the regular key?

It looks like a tiny 'antibiotic' in mine heh...The switchblade key how to shows a larger chip though..hrm.
adrian_mk3
Getting There!

Post by adrian_mk3 »

How did any of you get the pin holding the key in, out.I've tried with no luck at the moment
migui_blu
Getting There!

Post by migui_blu »

I used a compass - it was the closest thing to hand
adrian_mk3
Getting There!

Post by adrian_mk3 »

I've just finished making my switchblade key. Once I got the pin out it was easyer than I thought. Just one thing, I can't stop playing with it, opening it and closing it again and again.
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

Im still like that with mine haha

As soon as i got the car i couldn't stop playing with the key lol
cyhliu
Platinum Member

Post by cyhliu »

Gents, I'm comtemplating doing this mod as I've long wanted to have the switchblade type key, however I know I've seen them on eBay for sale and I'm wondering where the rest of you guys got your keys from?
toXXin

Post by toXXin »

I have one, but I bought it very cheap through a dealer.

I've since lost it though, I need to find it as a new key piece is on its way for it.
Pedro_Hilario
Bronze Member

Post by Pedro_Hilario »

Got mine from the webmaster of that portuguese Ibiza Club site. 30 euros Brand new and OEM.

Ebay is also a good chance, better if your looking for the 3 buttons flip keys. Migui also got his cheap over at the Uk if I recall correctly

Pedro