**DIY Guide** - Roof Aerial Replacement

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
Weedle
Silver Member

Post by Weedle »

Right thanks firstly go to Inder for pointing me in the right direction !!

Here Goes :-

Get your Aerial Repair Kit together - i got mine from VAGParts but you can get them from any stealership !!

Part No:- 1HO 051 753

Unscrew the Aerial Mast and put it safely to the side - if you can (If its not already gone) remove the perished rubber seal -

To remove the aerial base, open the boot lid and pull the rubber seal up slightly from the top of the opening.

Prise down the trim panel which fits between the top of the boot lid and the moulded headlining, you should hear a click when the retaining clips release.

Unhook the trim panel from the C-Pillar trim and remove it from the car.

To remove the Aerial mounting nut, pull down the headlining gently until you can see the Nut -

try not to pull it down any more than is needed, Dont worry to much about creasing the headlining it will go back to normal !!!!

Unscrewing the mounting nut from inside the roof can be very tricky as accessing it with any kind of socket / wrench tool is impossible - i ended up using a set of adjustable pliers
After the nut has been taken out lift off the aerial base, pulling the lead through with it.

At this point i cleaned off any marks that were left with Autoglym Bug and tar remover. I then polished and waxed the area ready for the new seal.

Now the base is free from the roof and the area is clean its time to put the new rubber seal on. Slipping the seal over the base and getting it to fit properly can be tricky, actually no it can be down right frustrating at times. I found the best way for me to do it was to slip the seal on from the top and slide it down so that the lip sits on the slightly raised ledge on the rear half of the base and then try to push the front down so the lip is fitting flush and evenly around the base.

Then just reattach the aerial mounting nut making sure the aerial lead goes through the gap in the nut and then tighten as required - its easier to start off tightning by hand and then to finish of with the adjustable pliers. Again dont worry to much about the headlining creasing as it will return to its normal shape afterwards. Re-attach the trim panel sliding it into the C-Pillar - you will need to bend the trim panel slightly to fit it in the C-Pillar but is will go straight back to its shape !! Hit the panel upwards listening out for the telltale clicks that mean the retaining clips have gone back in place, then just pull the rubber trim back down (I hit mine with my fist to make sure it was on properly) put the actual aerial mast back on

And Bobs your uncle, Fannys your aunt, you have a shiny new aerial seal on !!!

Any Questions please feel free to PM me !!
lolhoward
Platinum Member

Post by lolhoward »

Hi, great guide mate. Did mine today. Posting pics on my thread. Your guide was a great help as wouldn't have had a clue how to change it. Peice of cake in the end though :lol:
xcore
Bronze Member

Post by xcore »

i need to do mine next week!

were can i get the seal online as my local vw dealer is ages away?

cheers
xcore
Bronze Member

Post by xcore »

lolhoward
Platinum Member

Post by lolhoward »

link not working, but I got mine from VAG parts, check my thread and compare.
chewy
Platinum Member

Post by chewy »

If the part number is 1HO 051 753 then its the right one, looks like this on vag parts

Roof Aerial repair kit
Most VW and Audi Bee Sting Roof Aerials, not for Sat Nav Type

Price: 14.63 GBP
27.94 USD
Order no.: 1H0051753
xcore
Bronze Member

Post by xcore »

cheers peeps, checked your thread howard and it looks good, shame i cant afford the part this month lol
xcore
Bronze Member

Post by xcore »

just another quick qu, on standard items does the main seal stop the water or is there an O ring inside it that does??

cheers
lolhoward
Platinum Member

Post by lolhoward »

No the base is just a cover really. The o-ring on the inside is the water seal. Thats the one I covered in silcone grease just to be safe.
mramalho
New

Re: **DIY Guide** - Roof Aerial Replacement

Post by mramalho »

Hello,

I know this is an old post but could you please reupload the pictures? I am not able to see them.

Thanks a lot.
Golf Generation
New

Post by Golf Generation »

I know this is an old Post,but must just say that I too just Yesterday changed my Aerial Gasket,and did the steps shown in the Post!
It is a wee bit tricky ,but I got it done AOK!
Just one thing,myself I would not use a Hair Dryer as suggested in another post here!
Just put in Hot water,then slide it over base !
I used a an adjustable Wrench (flat one) to get the Nut loose! Was a bit tricky but worked!
Thanks
Golf Generation
New

Post by Golf Generation »

Why dont the Pictures posted by Weedle not show on site? In his post

Thank you :?: