6n, fitting GT camshaft

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

A 3F cam has engraved in it: 030 AF :wink:
Hardcore
Silver Member

Post by Hardcore »

quick question:

would this improve the 1.4 16v ? and would i use the same camshaft as you have done in this demonstration? the one out of the 1.3 lire GT ??
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

Hardcore wrote:quick question:

would this improve the 1.4 16v ? and would i use the same camshaft as you have done in this demonstration? the one out of the 1.3 lire GT ??
quick answer: the 16v has 2 cams, the 8v just one, and both are NOT to swap, will never fit
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

Jarno which one would be best and give a more likely fit?

G40
GT
MK3 Golf

As i got a belt change coming up and tempted by your idea.
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

Well, make sure to get one from a Polo engine, most Golf engines run the "big-blocks" from which the cam doesn't fit, ok, some Golf mk3's drive around with small-blocks, but those cams are at most 204 degrees, not much of an up-grade, GT cam is 219, getting a Schrick one is 268 degrees :roll: )

A G40 one won't be very helpfull, since it's a-symetric, meaning the inlet-valves are open less time then the exhaus-valves, meaning little to no up-grade, since your inlet timing isn't increasing (which is the biggest gain coming to cams and NA-engines)

So... just go for the GT one, from a mk3 GT with engine code 3F (NOT engine code NZ!!!)
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

By the way people, don't expect major increases in performance or so. Depending on your engine it can be quit small, for instance, an 1,6 8v AEE engine already has a 204 degree cam, so swapping it with a 219 degree one doesn't change that much. but a 1,3 8v ADX engine starts from 188 degrees on it's cam, now swapping for 219 does gain noticeble performance.

Eventhough, getting a 260+ sportscam is always the best option for performance, combine it with minor other up-grades (induction, fuel pressure, header/manifold) and your off getting quicker 8)
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

Ah cheers, where is the best place to look around (think dealerships would stock new ones?) as I am very interested in getting this done now and now I know what to look for thanks to you. And I need the Mk3 GT polo? Just to make sure.

My change will be on the 1.4 8v Mk4 and maybe the AER 1.0 in the future lol

Thanks in advance and once again
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

Got my old one from Ebay, german sold it to me for about 60 Euro's (dunno what that in pounds sterling is), best place to get one from cheaper is either Ebay or a scrapyard. Dealer would charge you a fortune I recon.
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

JarnoVWPolo6N wrote:Got my old one from Ebay, german sold it to me for about 60 Euro's (dunno what that in pounds sterling is), best place to get one from cheaper is either Ebay or a scrapyard. Dealer would charge you a fortune I recon.
Ah thanks will look into it, so i need the GT one, how much of a gain you think i will gain as on a mk4 1.4 8v?
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

polo-sib wrote:
JarnoVWPolo6N wrote:Got my old one from Ebay, german sold it to me for about 60 Euro's (dunno what that in pounds sterling is), best place to get one from cheaper is either Ebay or a scrapyard. Dealer would charge you a fortune I recon.
Ah thanks will look into it, so i need the GT one, how much of a gain you think i will gain as on a mk4 1.4 8v?
Depends on any other mods already/to be made. Won't gain that much on a further standard engine, but will run "smoother & happier" on higher rev's
yosin
Silver Member

Post by yosin »

hmm sounds quite interesting....i have a1.4 AEX engine 8v...alot of difference to ur mates one as u sed earlier in the thread?/... :roll:
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

yosin wrote:hmm sounds quite interesting....i have a1.4 AEX engine 8v...alot of difference to ur mates one as u sed earlier in the thread?/... :roll:
according to him, yes
Higgo
New

Post by Higgo »

so theres not really any point doing this to my 1.6 8v 6n then mate??

cheers Dan
Hardcore
Silver Member

Post by Hardcore »

im still confused about this. a 1.4 8v. would i take the cam out of the 1.4GT orrr. from the 1.0GT or what lol?? does it matter?
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

Hardcore wrote:im still confused about this. a 1.4 8v. would i take the cam out of the 1.4GT orrr. from the 1.0GT or what lol?? does it matter?
Are you serious about this? :shock: my god, do you even know what a Polo GT is!? The GT's used to retrieve the cam from which is discussed here, is the GT from the mk3 Polo's, with engine-code 3F. This was a 1.3 8v with 75bhp. There have never been 1.4 or 1.0 GT-versions! :roll: