6n, fitting GT camshaft

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
jaycee
New

Post by jaycee »

jarno considering doing this to my 1.3 spi 6n engine ! would any mods to the fueling need to be carried out to bennefit fully from this or will the ecu adjust its fueling as nessesary ?? also considering a 4 branch and poss de cat ! is there any way to up the fueling on the standard system for now or is bike carbs the way to go ?? many thanks ... jamie

ps does anyone know if the ignition mod from the earlier polos work on this eng ??
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

jaycee wrote:jarno considering doing this to my 1.3 spi 6n engine ! would any mods to the fueling need to be carried out to bennefit fully from this or will the ecu adjust its fueling as nessesary ?? also considering a 4 branch and poss de cat ! is there any way to up the fueling on the standard system for now or is bike carbs the way to go ?? many thanks ... jamie

ps does anyone know if the ignition mod from the earlier polos work on this eng ??
I also did it to my ADX engine(1.3spi mk4) and got it combined with a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold and good induction + uprated fuel pressure, was a lot more fun then the original set-up. Fuel uprating isn't necessary, but will give a slight more power over the higher rev's. By tweeking it a slight bit, as described in my DIY topic on the forum, you get a slightly better effect out of it. But don't over do it!!
jaycee
New

Post by jaycee »

jarno i have already modded my intake myself using standard air box k&n element some of that silver hot air duct pipe form the hot air valve warm up thingy to a bass tube thats fitted in the radiator cowling works pretty good also cat back s/s off a pug 206 xsi adapted to fit ! i will defo do the mod to the regulator but the hardest thing is finding a 030 af cam unless you know anyone ? cheers jamie
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

jaycee wrote:jarno i have already modded my intake myself using standard air box k&n element some of that silver hot air duct pipe form the hot air valve warm up thingy to a bass tube thats fitted in the radiator cowling works pretty good also cat back s/s off a pug 206 xsi adapted to fit ! i will defo do the mod to the regulator but the hardest thing is finding a 030 af cam unless you know anyone ? cheers jamie
sorry there, you'll have to find it yourself. Since I'm from Holland, even if I found one, shipment would cost you way too much compared to the effort of looking around on Ebay or scrappers yourself, good luck!
jaycee
New

Post by jaycee »

JarnoVWPolo6N wrote:
jaycee wrote:jarno i have already modded my intake myself using standard air box k&n element some of that silver hot air duct pipe form the hot air valve warm up thingy to a bass tube thats fitted in the radiator cowling works pretty good also cat back s/s off a pug 206 xsi adapted to fit ! i will defo do the mod to the regulator but the hardest thing is finding a 030 af cam unless you know anyone ? cheers jamie
sorry there, you'll have to find it yourself. Since I'm from Holland, even if I found one, shipment would cost you way too much compared to the effort of looking around on Ebay or scrappers yourself, good luck!

yeh you aint brought owt of ebay or the scrappers in the uk then have you :D f*****g country just seems to rip your trousers off as your dying !! with the loose change in your pocket

thats why we run the good old polo and not a r32 :D
jaycee
New

Post by jaycee »

JarnoVWPolo6N wrote:
jaycee wrote:jarno considering doing this to my 1.3 spi 6n engine ! would any mods to the fueling need to be carried out to bennefit fully from this or will the ecu adjust its fueling as nessesary ?? also considering a 4 branch and poss de cat ! is there any way to up the fueling on the standard system for now or is bike carbs the way to go ?? many thanks ... jamie

I also did it to my ADX engine(1.3spi mk4) and got it combined with a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold and good induction + uprated fuel pressure, was a lot more fun then the original set-up. Fuel uprating isn't necessary, but will give a slight more power over the higher rev's. By tweeking it a slight bit, as described in my DIY topic on the forum, you get a slightly better effect
out of it. But don't over do it!!

how would the fueling be ok as it is ecu governed ! this is why i asked ! the ecu will only fuel accordingly and if you aint got a modified map to suit your tunning which cant really be done on this chip

otherwise your going to run lean ? correct me if im wrong
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

jaycee wrote:
JarnoVWPolo6N wrote:

I also did it to my ADX engine(1.3spi mk4) and got it combined with a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold and good induction + uprated fuel pressure, was a lot more fun then the original set-up. Fuel uprating isn't necessary, but will give a slight more power over the higher rev's. By tweeking it a slight bit, as described in my DIY topic on the forum, you get a slightly better effect
out of it. But don't over do it!!

how would the fueling be ok as it is ecu governed ! this is why i asked ! the ecu will only fuel accordingly and if you aint got a modified map to suit your tunning which cant really be done on this chip

otherwise your going to run lean ? correct me if im wrong
Good question. First of all, there's no chip for the ADX ecu. Standard it has a 188 degree cam, the "smallest" Polo cam ever. The GT has 219 degrees of duration, so that quite an increase. The original map/ecu can easily take care of this increase though. It can even take care of a 268 degree cam (i'm running one now). But you asked what to do to get the best out of the GT cam, so my advice, tweek up the fuel pressure just a tiny bit, which is enough to get that slightly better throttle response, especially in high(er) rev's. With slightly higher pressure, it's not in the amount of fuel being injected, the ecu will shorten the time to compensate, so it will inject the same amount compared to not tweeking the fuel pressure. But the charm lies in how fast it can inject the required amount of fuel. This is increased, it can inject it faster now, with thetime shortened, making it run slightly better in high(er) revs and give you a better throttle respons. But again, don't over do it, cause if the pressure is too high, the ecu is too "slow" to adust, and you will flood it in high(er) revs
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

Ideally how much should you increase the pressure to for a good result? Secondly, any way of testing the pressure and checking it?

Thanks Jarno again in advance ;)
jaycee
New

Post by jaycee »

cool once i get a cam i will give it a try but i wont mod all at once i will fit the cam and try it then the manifold and try then up the fuel !

could it be adjusted by shims rather than reshaping it

also which cam does the 6n 1.1 eng have ? is it the same as mine ?

i ask because if it is different then my dad could have my old cam for his 1.1 once i get it fitted !! cheers jarno

jamie
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

polo-sib wrote:Ideally how much should you increase the pressure to for a good result? Secondly, any way of testing the pressure and checking it?

Thanks Jarno again in advance ;)
Differs per engine, the spi's have a different fuel-pump then the mpi's, and of course due to the difference in injection (1 or 4 injectors) there's too much difference to just give standard figures here. But just a small increase like in my DIY-topic is enough for just a GT cam.

jaycee wrote:cool once i get a cam i will give it a try but i wont mod all at once i will fit the cam and try it then the manifold and try then up the fuel !

could it be adjusted by shims rather than reshaping it

also which cam does the 6n 1.1 eng have ? is it the same as mine ?

i ask because if it is different then my dad could have my old cam for his 1.1 once i get it fitted !! cheers jarno

jamie
I don't know from my head, but it has a longer duration then your ADX-cam, so putting it in your dad's 1.0 mk4 won't gain him anything, it will only loose him performance, since the ADX has the cam with the smallest duration ever build for a Polo 8v engine.
jaycee
New

Post by jaycee »

jarno what mods can be done to the ignition ? there was a well known mod for fitting the earlier golf coil ! does this count for this eng ? .. cheers jamie
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

do u know if u can do something like this for the mk5 6n2? i got a mk5 1 litre and was wondering if theres anything else u can swap diy style to get a bit more power out of the engine?
jaycee
New

Post by jaycee »

got my cam fitted today just waiting for a belt now should get it tommorow not doing the water pump going to chance it ! jarno i used a thin m 10 washer under the spring housing on the fuel regulator will let you know how it gets on ! also dont know about the timming side but i made some new marks on the 8v pulley and they were roughly 5 teeth away from the original mark !! does that sound about right ? looks ok ish ? cheers jamie
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

jaycee wrote:got my cam fitted today just waiting for a belt now should get it tommorow not doing the water pump going to chance it ! jarno i used a thin m 10 washer under the spring housing on the fuel regulator will let you know how it gets on ! also dont know about the timming side but i made some new marks on the 8v pulley and they were roughly 5 teeth away from the original mark !! does that sound about right ? looks ok ish ? cheers jamie
Just time it manually, here's the trick:

-take out the sparkplug from the first cilinder (next to the cam-pulley)
-stick in a long screwdriver
-use this to spot the highest point of the piston, by slowly turning the crank-pulley
-get the piston justthe tiniest bit over the top point
-that's the starting-point you want

-now, put the cam in, take the inlet-valve of the first cilinder into consideration with this, place it in just so that the inletvalve will start opening right afterthis top-dead point in which you just placed the piston.
-ready 8)

point is, that in this position, the inlet will start opening right after the pistons starts to go down again, letting it suck in max. air-fuel mixture.

Make sure to slowly turn the crank-pulley multiple times to make sure the valves don't fit the pistons!!
jaycee
New

Post by jaycee »

hey guys fitted the cam belt today and new aux belt timmed up and checked 3 times over just to be sure on my markins as per yesterdays findings stuck it all back together and ran it up !! :D keep to what i said about marking the pulley 5 teeth anti clockwise and you wont go wrong thats where i made my mark and after running it i tweaked the timing yet found it was bang on any way !

aint drove it yet as mot and tax is out but just from the response in the throttle and knowing how it was before just made me grin ! i know this is going to go well when its back on the rd !

it just seemed like a different engine rev`s were so responsive where as before it just seemed choked up and restrictive

i didnt run it with the washer under the fuel regulator spring i took it out after having second thoughts ! i will play with that another day

all thats left for now is to get a 4 branch manifold to compliment the cam and other mods already in place

and for £20 this is by far the best most noticable mod done to the car by far although the other mods will now come into play a bit more them selfs

and thats without having driven it yet ! :D my hat goes of to the guy who started this post and jarno for there efforts and it went that well that my dads now after one for his 1ltr eng :D