6N2 Fuel Filter Replacement (all petrol models)

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

6N2 Fuel Filter Replacement (all petrol models)

Post by alexperkins »

1. Jack the rear of the car up and support it on axle stands ensuring the front wheels are chocked

2.Remove the fuel pump fuse (number 40) Third row...6th from the left including the first.

3.Start the engine and if it wont start you have successfully depressurised the system. If it does start, let it run until it has stopped.

4.The fuel filter is situated underneath the fuel tank at the rear of the car (its on the back of the tank)

5. Remove the screw from the retaining clamp

6. You need to remove the pipes, noting first the direction of the arrow on the fuel filter. This can be done by pressing the tabs on the connections together and popping the connections off, or alternatively levering a large screwdriver underneath the lip of the connections to make them 'pop' off. Recommend you get a large rag to catch the fuel that spills out - there will still be a little pressure in the pipes so just be careful and dont be alarmed if you get fuel coming out the pipes for a few seconds.

7. Fit the new filter into position, and 'click' the pipes back onto the filter ensuring that you have put it with the arrow facing the same way as the old filter.

8. Reinstall the fuel pump fuse and start the engine. It may take a few seconds to start as the lines repressurise. Let it run for a few minutes while you check the connections on the fuel filter to ensure there are no leaks

9. Lower the car and youre done!
Trunkz
Bronze Member

Re: 6N2 Fuel Filter Replacement (all models)

Post by Trunkz »

Do not.. use mole grips to get the damned filter off. You will hate yourself for having to remove the broken ends of the filter lodged within the fuel lines. :cry:
dub6n2
Gold Member

Post by dub6n2 »

for gods sake I forgot to note the direction of the old fuel filter so could someone please indicate to me whether the arrow is pointing to the passenger or driver side so I can continue fitting the filter :/ ?? thanks in advance
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

dub6n2
Gold Member

Post by dub6n2 »

thanks loads buddy :) all is in place
9jet9
New
Drives: 6N2

Post by 9jet9 »

When replacing the fuel filter, I broke one of the connectors when removing it from the old filter. It forms a good seal and no fuel leaks out but I'm worried that over time, the connector will come off.

Is it possible to replace the entire lead? I searched on all the major car-part web-sites but all you get are the usual parts - filters, pumps, regulators etc... but never any fuel connectors or leads.

Has anyone got any good advice here?
Thanks.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Yes, but youll have to get it from your local VW dealer
Teutonic_Tamer
New
Drives: Polo 9N3 1.4 TDI 5dr with half a V6 :p

Post by Teutonic_Tamer »

Alex - you really ought to highlight that this is for only the PETROL fuel filter. Diesel fuel filters are in the engine bay! :P

Also, a really worthwhile suggestion to add is try to change your petrol fuel filter when the tank is nearly empty - ideally a quarter tank full or less. Do it like that, and you will lessen the static pressure of fuel in the lines, and lessen the quantities of any potential fuel spills. :wink: