Torn Seat Bolster (cheaper fix than a new seat)

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
Tubthumper
New

Torn Seat Bolster (cheaper fix than a new seat)

Post by Tubthumper »

Ok, I had myself a torn bolster on my drivers side seat caused by my fat arse catching it as i drop into the seat. I resented the thought of having to pay £50 to replace them with new ones so I had to come up with a new idea. Que lightbulb. I bought 4 patches with the VW Logo on them from a guy called bifterkid from thailand on ebay £10 ish for 4. He has a selection of white on blue, black on white, and white on black. I then conscripted the job to my arty farty Mother who kindly saved me £40!

Take yourself to poundland and get yourself a hot glue gun, We were going to stich them into the fabric but it was a right faff and they seemed secure enough to just stick with the glue, so we did.

Take the patch in one hand and press to to the seat with your fingers, With your thumb of the hand pressing it down fold one half of the patch over so you can get the gun in between it and the seat. Smear a small amount of glue to the seat and the patch, don't put in too much or it will ooze out from under the patch and make a considerable mess which takes even longer to clean up. with that half glued down repeat on the other half. Then run your finders around the edges looking for loose bits and if you find them give them a bit more hassle with the glue gun.

That's the one that went on the bolster. underneath that patch is a 3 '' tall and 1'' wide tear. obviously because of the curve of the bolster it was a pig to get the patch smooth.

The other two went on the back seats and look much neater and were much easier to do.
Hamish
Bronze Member

Post by Hamish »

think i would have prefered to pay the £50 tbh :shock:
Tubthumper
New

Post by Tubthumper »

Yeh, would have been a better bet, but, when you don't have £50 but hate torn seats...
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Du have a more zoomed shot of the third picture to show exactly where you placed it?
Phoenix
Bronze Member

Post by Phoenix »

lol hahaha its a nice idea dude and nice to see people thinking outside the box

i also think it could work very well on different seats with different colour,

just a bit contrasting thats all so looks a bit in your face,

but top banana for trying :D
Bepe
Platinum Member

Post by Bepe »

Sorry, looks Tat, and also will look out of place just my opinion
dino