Rear VW Sharan badge - colour coded

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
chrischap2003
Bronze Member

Rear VW Sharan badge - colour coded

Post by chrischap2003 »

OK...so i thought id give this ago as its a common modification on the Mk4 Golfs and the rear badge is the same size as the Polo ie 110mm. And i dont believe anyone has had a go at this yet? :?

The Sharan badge is a smaller badge at 95mm and sits nicely in the recess of the previous badge and also removes the need for the rubber ring around the badge. With the rear colour coded it really looks tidy. :lol:

All in all i think its a small touch that is really nice.

Well i started by getting the required items -

- VW Sharan Badge around £12 from the dealer
- Filler Primer
- Correctly mixed Paint for my paint code (mine was LP3G) from John Davey Ltd £12
- Laquer
- Paint thinners
- 1200 Grade wet and dry
- Double sided adhesive tape
- Masking tape

Tools used -

- Small flat head screw driver
- Towel of somesort
- Hairdryer
- Glue Gun
- Stanley knife

Well firstly i removed the exsisting badge from the rear of the car, with use of a hairdryer and prised the badge off with a flat headed screw driver with a towel wrapped around to avoid scratching the bootlid.

Most of the adhesive came off with the badge as you can see, the remainder just required a quick rub over with paint thinner to remove.

Comparing the badges: -

***note i'd already removed the Sharan badge backing in the above picture.

To remove the back of the sharan badge it was simply a case of gently using a stanley knife to cut away the stud fixings at the rear -

Which finally came apart to -

Once i got to this point, i simply gave it a good old scrub with the 1200 grade wet and dry (you could probably use a more coarse grade firstly, but its all i had at the time and it worked quite well)

Once i managed to smooth the "bobble"! effect from the badge backing i began to spray with my filler primer (again i only used filler primer because it helps more with flattening the surface, you could use normaly primer i am sure)

After a 3 or 4 coats with wet and dry in between each coat, i began with the body coloured paint, of which i gave a good 6 coats. Again i did this to enable me to "colour sand" the surface to take any imperfections out.

Once i was happy with the finish i applied 2 coats of laquer and left the badge over night to harden.

Next morning i re assembled the badge -

Using a glue gun i sealed the chrome badge to the backing. Glue gun was perfect as the glue set hard relatively quickly

Then the double sided tape cam into action, which was brilliant to cut with a stanley blade -

Walla complete in effect, just throw it back onto the car applying good pressure for a few minutes and possibly use some masking tape to tape it up for a while -

Personally i think it sits well in the recess, may not to be to some peoples taste but i thought i'd throw this up here as am not sure if anyone had tried it yet.

lolhoward
Platinum Member

Post by lolhoward »

Looks good. I think If I was to remove mine & colour code it , I would def put a smaller one on. Plus makes it a bit more original. That could change though now its on here :lol:
lolhoward
Platinum Member

Post by lolhoward »

Oh yeah, good guide too!
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Nice guide mate! I think I prefer the colour coded OEM badge though, it sits better IMO.
chrischap2003
Bronze Member

Post by chrischap2003 »

Tim_GTi wrote:Nice guide mate! I think I prefer the colour coded OEM badge though, it sits better IMO.
No problem bud :) i understand a good few might not like the way it sits :)

Just to not though, its exactly the same proceedure for the original 110mm badge, obviously :) So i guess you can think of it as a generic colour coding guide for any VW rear badge lol :wink:
pip_polo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by pip_polo »

i have all the pictures from when i did mine, iirc dino did it frist on here with his blue 9n. but still looks cool
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Yeh Dino gave me the inspiration to do mine. Speaking of which, I'm having another one done as we speak, this time properly with local sprayer. Thought I may aswell get it redone as the gun was out anyway.
_dubstar
Bronze Member

Post by _dubstar »

that badge looks wonky
chrischap2003
Bronze Member

Post by chrischap2003 »

_dubstar wrote:that badge looks wonky
Shhhhhh! It was, i was hoping no one would realise haha!

Its all straightened out now though ;-)
dweebs
New

Post by dweebs »

Hi there - quick question....

Did you do a wet sand between the final layer of paint and the first layer of lacquer ?

Cheers

Dave
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

dweebs wrote:Hi there - quick question....

Did you do a wet sand between the final layer of paint and the first layer of lacquer ?

Cheers

Dave
Yeh you can do mate, wet 1200 grit.
stuart1903
Getting There!

Re: Rear VW Sharan badge - colour coded

Post by stuart1903 »

My car is Dark blue... does it need to be lacquered etc or could I just spray it with a rattle can?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

I'd spray it and laquer it.
emma_88
Gold Member
Drives: 6N2 Polo GTi & 9N3 Polo GTi

Post by emma_88 »

I used this thread to do my rear badge :) Very useful indeed.

Thumbs up like.