Removing rear wiper on a 9n

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
MW
New

Removing rear wiper on a 9n

Post by MW »

Im after a guide to remove the rear wiper on my 9n, anyone got one?

Thanks
Mark
chewy
Platinum Member

Re: Removing rear wiper on a 9n

Post by chewy »

Two screws in the boot panel, then it held on by clips.

Remove the wiper arm (might be seized)

Unbolt motor

Seal up fluid pipe
Nick_in_Suffolk
New

Post by Nick_in_Suffolk »

I joined this forum in the hope of finding out stuff like this.

Our runabout Polo GT had its second MOT yesterday and the hi-level brake light was not working (but did not lead to an MOT failure).

The reply above alerted me to the presence of the recessed screws and after removing these and being VERY brutal with the trim (2 metal clips have broken!) I was able to get to the light. I will see if I can get away without replacing these metal clips....I suspect that I will be plagued with rattles until I do so.

The connector pins on the light fitting had corroded and one had broken. I have cleaned up the area, soldered on new stub cables and attached these to the wiring loom. The light now works. Just need to provide better sealing arrangements around the fitting now.

Thanks guys.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

In reply to "needing to get brutal" with the tailgate trim - yes, very brutal, the first time that I removed it I'm afraid I split the trim at the bottom! There are three different sizes of clips - might be that you want to buy in two of each! Next problem might be actually damaging the mountings for some of these clips and then needing to bodge it up a bit. One thing though, if you do feel the need to take this cover off again and replace some clips (the number needing replacing will probably increase with each removal!), why not take this oportunity to check out and clean up and re-grease the rear wiper washer pipe where it passes through the wiper drive shaft. I'd agree that your car should have failed its MOT if there was no light coming from the high level brake light - but not if one "point" still worked. Was your light an "LED" one or just bulbs - the reason that I ask is that my 2000MY Passat B5 has an LED one but my VAG parts list seems to infer that the 9N Polo has only an old style "bulb" one.
Nick_in_Suffolk
New

Post by Nick_in_Suffolk »

My light is an LED assembly (MY04) and none of it was working. The input connection was completely corroded away on both pins.

I have re-set the assembly with a bead of silicon around the edge to try and prevent a recurrence.