Hardwire dashcam install Polo 6R/6C DIY

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
6RPotentialBuyer
Getting There!
Drives: Candy White Polo 6R

Hardwire dashcam install Polo 6R/6C DIY

Post by 6RPotentialBuyer »

Just thought I'd post a guide on how to hardwire your dashcam into your Polo. I'm not a professional in anyway I just followed a few YouTube videos. It has worked very well for me and since the install I have had no issues :D

Here's what you need.
12V to 5V USB converter
"Add a fuse" or "Piggy back fuse" (Same thing)
Crimp connectors and crimping tool or soldering iron.
Dashcam and a long power cable.

This is what the wired set up looks like with all parts.

You plug the USB into the USB for the dashcam. The red wire is connected to the "Add a Fuse" and the black wire is grounded. I connected mine to a screw.

Here's what mine looks like. (Sorry for the rubbish images)
Plug the add a fuse into the fusebox under the steering wheel. I plugged mine into the "rear window wiper motor" fuse (This fuse works with the ignition, so when you turn the key the camera automatically starts recording, and when you turn the car off it stops recording and turns off). A list of all fuses can be found here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachmen ... -fuses.pdf

I grounded it to this screw. I tucked the converter and excess wiring here because it is out of sight.

Now you need to run the wiring up. I put mine up the rubber seal the runs along the side of the car. The cable doesn't get crushed here and it is always out of sight.

This is a diagram of where I ran my wire. (Wire in red) It just goes up the rubber real and then goes across the A pillar (Just needs to be pulled lightly and tucked under, no need to pull it off) it's then tucked under the headliner and goes to my dashcam.

This is what the wire looks like coming from the headliner.

I mounted my dashcam onto the rearview mirror. I didn't want to have a suction cup mount because they are quite bulky. This is also a good location for the video recorded on the dashcam.

This is what my dashcam looks like from the outside (The flash makes it look more obvious than it is)

Overall I'm really happy with how this turned out. It works flawlessly and it is a nice and discreet install. Instead of paying halfords £50 to fit it, I did it for £5 :D
derkie54
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo 1.0 110PS TSI SEL 5 Door

Re: Hardwire dashcam install Polo 6R/6C DIY

Post by derkie54 »

Good post and nothing wrong with the photo's. :)
Bigtam
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2016

Post by Bigtam »

That's pretty much how I done mine apart from the fuse position
lebjos
New
Drives: Polo Match 1.2 TSI

Post by lebjos »

I just bought one that plugs directly into the OBD port, it's always recording if it senses motion, even with the engine off.
atj_allstar
New
Drives: Polo 6R 1.2MPI

Post by atj_allstar »

Thank you for the detailed pics of dashcam install. I was able to install it and route the hardwiring similar way in my Polo 6R RHD version. Only difference i made is change in the fuse tap as i used fuse 12 and also I found a better ground point which is a nut attached to the frame of the car after opening the panel on the extreme right side of dashboard (RHD car). Image https://www.dropbox.com/s/gh6zx4ze9zmnt ... d.jpg?dl=0
I have loosen the nut above and connected the ground there. Sorry no picture after installation.
snudge
New
Drives: 2016 Polo GTi 1.8 TSi

Post by snudge »

Hi, I'm in the process of hardwiring my dashcam but I am struggling to find the ground point that you have shown in your picture. Can you please tell me where this is located?

Thanks.
6RPotentialBuyer
Getting There!
Drives: Candy White Polo 6R

Post by 6RPotentialBuyer »

snudge wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:15 pm Hi, I'm in the process of hardwiring my dashcam but I am struggling to find the ground point that you have shown in your picture. Can you please tell me where this is located?

Thanks.
Apologies for the late reply, I haven't been very active on the forum lately haha. That ground lis located just next to the pedals. I'll take a better quality picture of it in the morning :)
LoveOfPolo
New
Drives: 6R 2012

Post by LoveOfPolo »

6RPotentialBuyer wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:29 pm Just thought I'd post a guide on how to hardwire your dashcam into your Polo. I'm not a professional in anyway I just followed a few YouTube videos. It has worked very well for me and since the install I have had no issues :D

Here's what you need.
12V to 5V USB converter

You plug the USB into the USB for the dashcam. The red wire is connected to the "Add a Fuse" and the black wire is grounded. I connected mine to a screw.

Plug the add a fuse into the fusebox under the steering wheel. I plugged mine into the "rear window wiper motor" fuse (This fuse works with the ignition, so when you turn the key the camera automatically starts recording, and when you turn the car off it stops recording and turns off). A list of all fuses can be found here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachmen ... -fuses.pdf

I grounded it to this screw. I tucked the converter and excess wiring here because it is out of sight.

Now you need to run the wiring up. I put mine up the rubber seal the runs along the side of the car. The cable doesn't get crushed here and it is always out of sight.

This is a diagram of where I ran my wire. (Wire in red) It just goes up the rubber real and then goes across the A pillar (Just needs to be pulled lightly and tucked under, no need to pull it off) it's then tucked under the headliner and goes to my dashcam.

I mounted my dashcam onto the rearview mirror. I didn't want to have a suction cup mount because they are quite bulky. This is also a good location for the video recorded on the dashcam.

This is what my dashcam looks like from the outside (The flash makes it look more obvious than it is)

Overall I'm really happy with how this turned out. It works flawlessly and it is a nice and discreet install. Instead of paying halfords £50 to fit it, I did it for £5 :D
HI!
Can you please send me the pics again because they're all down use imgur.com or attach them directly to the forum please.
j3rom3
New
Drives: polo 6r 2011

Post by j3rom3 »

6RPotentialBuyer wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:29 pm Just thought I'd post a guide on how to hardwire your dashcam into your Polo. I'm not a professional in anyway I just followed a few YouTube videos. It has worked very well for me and since the install I have had no issues :D

Here's what you need.
12V to 5V USB converter

EvanZA
New
Drives: 15 Polo 6c GTi

Post by EvanZA »

Thanks for this post. Im planning on doing the same :wink: