Known/common faults

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
jon_poloV
Sponsor

Re: Warranty Fixing

Post by jon_poloV »

JWC wrote:
As for the ticking on the other cars, mine does that when its cooling even when the engine is idling, same noise carries on when you turn off. Basically on mine it is cooling after being driven. Is quite loud - doesn't bother me since it does it when the engine is off too!
its nothing like that mate, thats the metal contracting that ticking noise, this ticking noise comes from the gear box and you can adjust the tapping noise with gentel revving etc.
jon
JWC
Gold Member

Post by JWC »

I wasn't implying that you were daft - just that when I heard mine ticking with the bonnet open and the engine running I wondered what it was because it was loud. And then I turned it off and it carried on so I though - damn that's louder than I would have thought...
bluebaron
Getting There!

Post by bluebaron »

I've got a 2001 1.0 E, here's the problems I've had:-

1) Gearbox oil seal was faulty - replaced under warranty at 18k
2) Rear wash pipe came off / split - 18k & 24k
3) Engine management fault light on after a bit of rain - 17k

so it looks like I've got off lightly (runs to find the nearest piece of wood to touch while stroking rabbits foot)
polopowah
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Hertfordshire Drives: Ford Puma 1.7 Enjoys: Mowing grass

Post by polopowah »

i get that light come on when its raining or damp, think my rear-wash/wipe seal is broken too, but im to lazy to fix it just yet :lol:
-Ben-
jimed29
New

hahahaha

Post by jimed29 »

that noise from the gearbox which goes when the clutch is depresses is a bearing inside the geabox that is f**cked, it requires a full gearbox re-build to replace it, i had it done.

my problems

1) pedal box (warranty)
2)clutches (3 of them)
3)window switches
4)abs sensors (x2) £100!!
5)Ignition barrel
6)steering wheel not straight
7)seats came unstiched
8)throttle body keeps needing cleaning
9)Lamda probe sensor always on
10) brakelights/sidelight/tailight bulbs blow all the time.
11) front bushes gone (£230)
12)Gear box rebuild

nightmare... my car seems to have had all the problems on very polo rolled into 1! and the dealers always go "this has never happened before"
VW dealers are unfriendly and have bad customer service, I pick up my new yaris on tuesday nuff said.
JWC
Gold Member

Post by JWC »

and others still drive their car every day and no problems at all. All I have is that the Air filter gets oil in it when the car is thrashed. But 'checked compression its fine, just the way she is.
mkV16v
New

Post by mkV16v »

1) squeekin from what sounds like the front passenger side brake after bein driven hard and only when turnin left :?
2) abs light comes on then goes off when it fells like it
3) leccy windows didnt work now workin fine again
4) *and scariest* oil seems to be dissapearin from somewhere but no visible signs anywhere i ever park :(

i dont fink god wants me to have a normal car experience in this life time :cry:
JWC
Gold Member

Post by JWC »

mkV16v wrote:1) squeekin from what sounds like the front passenger side brake after bein driven hard and only when turnin left :?
2) abs light comes on then goes off when it fells like it
3) leccy windows didnt work now workin fine again
4) *and scariest* oil seems to be dissapearin from somewhere but no visible signs anywhere i ever park :(

i dont fink god wants me to have a normal car experience in this life time :cry:
1) Will most likely go away. We all get sqeaks every now and then.
2) ABS - check connectors under back seat - they sometimes are not pushed all the way in.
3) Leccy windows, forget they are one touch every now and then, but it is designed that way - to not be one touch when the power is interrupted. To re-enable it is easy Something to do with chopping a girls head off in germany by accident.
4) Oil - you will probably find that it is going up the breather. You might find your air filter is covered in it. This is by design also, the oil seperator on the back of the engine block isn't very good. You can fit an inline seperator from a Mk2 Golf in addition to it. Just chop the pipe and stuff it in. I have this too. I checked compression, no problems.
mkV16v
New

Post by mkV16v »

fanx jwc - i can breathe easily again :lol:
JWC
Gold Member

Post by JWC »

Sometimes, its easy to get fixated on something. There are days I swear that my car feels different to normal, but I know it doesn't really.
Sleety
Getting There!

Post by Sleety »

problems with my 1.4mpi SE

1) both windows wont do up with out a helpin hand
2) sun roof some times wont shut properly
the 3rd and final i hope it wont start when its warm and then it limets to 3000 rpm i only found this out last night :(

Sleety
n2pologuy
New

Post by n2pologuy »

ive got a mk5 6n2 and my steering wheel was off centre and the car would sway to the left!! very annoying especially when accelerating i would have to hold steering wheel quite tight :evil: but after getting alloys and getting the car lowered its absolutely fine now!
A11XLG
New

Post by A11XLG »

i have only had clutch problems and my dad's a mechanic and he has had a few mk 5's in with clutch problems seem to be a weakness the clutch cabel.
nothin2lose
Bronze Member

Post by nothin2lose »

heres my problems so far
pedal box cracked
internal door handles peeled
spark plug failure- but needed to change leads + coil
1st gear is being a bastard and wont go in properly
oil is leaking from engine- not sure where, cud be headgasket
steering goes to the left slightly
coloum speakers broken
dials on heater have gone out
Alex_6n2
Gold Member

Post by Alex_6n2 »

man i was woried about my polo!

i have just hit 21Ks on mine and my clutch is about fooked, thought it was my shat driving but obv the car had something to do with it as well, also i think my gearbox may also be on the blink as i get a whining/clicking noise which isnt v loud but audiable past 40mph with windows up

cud be the clutch as the tone of the sound changes when i fully press it but im no mechanic so meh

shud be ok till i have the money to replace it and i mite also go out 2morro and buy some decent sparks tho by the sound of things

oh and how do u tell if ur ignition barrel is gone and whether or not the throttle body needs cleaning?