Known/common faults

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
fackers89
New

Re: Known/common faults

Post by fackers89 »

ye thanks, got a big service and timing belt change mid october, bought all my parts ready for it, having it done by a friend from a club meet.

thanks tho :)
PSTRAHAN
New

Post by PSTRAHAN »

MKV 6n2 1.0 X reg
In the 4 months of owning it my faults have been as followed;

Steering Rack x 2 (Was dead when buying it, had it replaced, that one died after two months and am almost two months into my new one, so far so good)

Front right coil spring

Front left top mount

Interior door handles peeling

Stone chips covering the bonnet

ABS light comes on with passengers in the back

Side light bulb died

Just had a service with new oil filter, air filter, and spark plugs at (£40 :o)

And now today after starting fine, took a 1 minute drive to the shops, got back in a it won't start at all unless its jump started. So a new battery now too i assume.
lolhoward
Platinum Member

Post by lolhoward »

PSTRAHAN wrote:MKV 6n2 1.0 X reg

Steering Rack x 2 (Was dead when buying it, had it replaced, that one died after two months and am almost two months into my new one, so far so good)

Front right coil spring

Front left top mount

Side light bulb died

And now today after starting fine, took a 1 minute drive to the shops, got back in a it won't start at all unless its jump started. So a new battery now too i assume.
A light bulb going and stone chips aren't really a fault with the car :D :wink:
CharlesK
Bronze Member

Post by CharlesK »

Only really major problem Ive had is the end of my drivesahft randomly shearing. And this was at low speed jsut coming into my work car park. Could have gone as a much 'less convienient' time.

That, and my 6n2 seems to have some mental electrics. The dials sometimes like to go a bit dotty, and decide to show some wild numbers. All connections are fine. And the epc light coming on from time to time. Garage couldnt pin point it. So I just live it. Doesnt effect anything performance wise. Just annoying.
CharlesK
Bronze Member

Post by CharlesK »

lolhoward wrote:
I dont know, mine seems to pick them up like nothing else :wink:
JackNoone
Getting There!

Post by JackNoone »

CharlesK wrote:
lolhoward wrote:
I dont know, mine seems to pick them up like nothing else :wink:
Ha mines the same. I've never owned a car that liked to liberally sprinkle itself with them like this one does
shadow nja
New

Post by shadow nja »

lolhoward wrote:
PSTRAHAN wrote:MKV 6n2 1.0 X reg

Front right coil spring

Front left top mount

Side light bulb died

Hey guys, to the op - strahan... re - the abs light annoyance, if you lift up your nearside rear seat base - you have to ease the backrest forward a bit first - you will see a cable which 'should' be quite neatly plumbed around the metalwork, at the back just before it disapears into the plenum / anchor points for the seat belts, theres a plastic connection switch - check it. it's in a place which can be pretty vulnerable to knockage or sly fat mates wiping bogeys inadvertently disturbing it. a couple of ignition on's and the ecu will see all is ok / or not, maybe
dub_mk4_ed
New

Post by dub_mk4_ed »

Well..

I have a 2001 16V 1.4..

Problems I've had:
- ECU Light coming on, and car using around 10litres per 50 Miles- So around 25 MPG on a drive that was mainly on the motorway!
FIX?- I had it checked out and it said 'System too Lean- Bank 1'- Had it diagnosed more accurately as the front Lambda Sensor.. Replaced that for just £110!! :o And to be quite honest I am not entirely sure it has fixed the problem, consumption is still not as good as it was when I first got the car.

- ABS?- Light comes on occasionaly- and something I guess must be related to it is this--
When driving at around 50+mph, and gently starting to Brake, the brakes then seem to put in their own pressure. So if I were to brake say on motorway gently, the pedal would move away from my feet slightly up and down in like a pulsing motion.. No idea what this is, feels very weird, like being in a driving instructors car!
FIX?- God knows!!

Little problems-
Passenger window control on drivers side doesn't work- not yet had it out to have a look.
Steering Wheel- Scratching noise from behind it when turning.
benmkiv
Platinum Member

Known/common faults

Post by benmkiv »

The kickback on the pedal sounds like warped discs or disc thickness variation. Getthem swapped out and believe me when I say do not skimp on the discs theyre worth every penny mate.
dub_mk4_ed
New

Post by dub_mk4_ed »

Ahh u reckon? Gutted! Cheers though, I'll check em out :)
benmkiv
Platinum Member

Known/common faults

Post by benmkiv »

Yes mate don't be tempted by the cheap discs like I was. Went pagier from euro car parts they were shot within a month and mines only a 1.0 although expensive EBC all the way now mate.
dub_mk4_ed
New

Post by dub_mk4_ed »

Sorry, just to check I made this clear.. When I brake, the pedal moves very gently and up and down over say the period of 2-3 seconds.. So would you still say this is the same fault with the discs? Because if you were moving at 50+ mph, am I right in saying you would expect this warp to make the pedal move up and down a lot faster? Or am I completely wrong? :P

Cheers for the help though, if this is the case then I will not buy cheap ones.. The cars done 55K and not had them changed (As you'd expect) So it must be dodgey VW ones?
benmkiv
Platinum Member

Known/common faults

Post by benmkiv »

I think so. mine just dissapears as soon as I hit 30 get it to a garage to be checked Too see what they say many offer free brake checks
dub_mk4_ed
New

Post by dub_mk4_ed »

Alright mate cheers, EBC aren't too expensive really compared to the cheapo ones!
benmkiv
Platinum Member

Known/common faults

Post by benmkiv »

Yeah that's why I wish I'd got em now