Known/common faults

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
John c
New

Known/common faults

Post by John c »

We have had the following with Polo MK 5 's

Temp sensors- car strugles to start when cold, sometimes brings on warning light, other times revs fluctuate.

Lamda sensor- dash warning light com on.

Door locks- The parts behind the door lock key barrel break, early signs are the key barrel becomes stiff and will not return centre itself.

Electric windows- sometimes the swithches go about £12 from VW, motors can lock in the closed position, free off by taping the motor with a hammer whilst you open the window (mind you fingers), have also had windows that seem to have a mind of their own whilst you are operating them, usually cured by spraying silicon in the window runners to reduce resistance which triggers the safety closing feature.

Rear washer- Pipes come off inside the boot lid soaking the boot lock which brings the boot not locked warning light on the dash, the other place the pipes come of is behind the trim inside the car in front of the nearside wheel arch, if you give the washers a good 30 second sqirt if its the boot one you will find water dripping from the boot drain holes, if it is the other water will collect under the nearside rear passinger seat.

Selling Polo's is all we do so we have seen most of the problems on Polo's and most are minor niggly problems.

John www.oakcar.co.uk[/url]
jon_poloV
Sponsor

gear box noise!

Post by jon_poloV »

dont suppose you have had a tapping noise from gear box or clutch or something. when i crawl ar rev getly after engine is warm, i get a tiit tiit tiit tiit tiit ,tiit tiit, t i t noise (computer *** if i right it not spaced! it is irregular as hell.
thanks
jon
John c
New

Post subject: gear box noise!

Post by John c »

Does the noise go when you fully depress the clutch.

John
jon_poloV
Sponsor

polo

Post by jon_poloV »

i think it does but cant be sure,
jon
John c
New

Post subject: gear box noise!

Post by John c »

We have had quite a few cars with a taping noise coming from the gearbox usually when you are stationary and depress the clutch the noise goes, it has never caused us a problem so we have not investigated it further.

Does the noise appear louder when the car is cold and is your car still under warranty.

John
jon_poloV
Sponsor

vw warrenty

Post by jon_poloV »

nope its run out. i have been thinking about taking the extended warrenty out with vw tho.
John c
New

gear box noise

Post by John c »

Does the noise appear louder when the car is cold

John
jon_poloV
Sponsor

cold

Post by jon_poloV »

no i think when its warmer
jon
jon_poloV
Sponsor

polo noise!!

Post by jon_poloV »

nope when depress clutch its still there, it does it crawling and stationary!
jon
John c
New

polo noise!!

Post by John c »

Have had Polo's with a knocking worse when cold but normally they get quieter when hot, did have one that knocked badly all the time and that had a new short engine under warranty.

John
jon_poloV
Sponsor

vw

Post by jon_poloV »

when i took it into vw they say it souynds like something pinging about in the gear box. im going to have it look at but is gonna be costly!

jon
John c
New

polo noise!!

Post by John c »

When i took it into vw they say it souynds like something pinging about in the gear box

Was the car under warranty when you asked them to inspect it.

It is not the end of the world if the engine is noisy I have never had one that has any type of failure, in the words of my local VW dealers service manager " My fathers 1997 Polo has a noisy engine it has now covered 80000 miles with no ill effects".

Short engine is about £1600 from VW and the warranty replacement from VW was not exactly quiet.

John[/quote]
John c
New

polo noise!!

Post by John c »

When i took it into vw they say it souynds like something pinging about in the gear box
Was the car under warranty when you asked them to inspect it.

It is not the end of the world if the engine is noisy I have never had one that has any type of failure, in the words of my local VW dealers service manager " My fathers 1997 Polo has a noisy engine it has now covered 80000 miles with no ill effects".

Short engine is about £1600 from VW and the warranty replacement from VW was not exactly quiet.

John
jon_poloV
Sponsor

gearbox

Post by jon_poloV »

im going to take it in and ask them weather it would be a good idea to take out the extended warrenty to cover this noise, only thing is im not sure whats coverd so ill have to get them to advise all!
jon
JWC
Gold Member

Warranty Fixing

Post by JWC »

Hi,
Today I had to get a couple of things fixed.

1) Air Conditioning smelled like old trainers was full of bugs - they cleaned that.
2) LHSF speaker intermittent, still doesn't work after they fixed it!
3) New Steering Column - wheel clunked forward and backward

As for the ticking on the other cars, mine does that when its cooling even when the engine is idling, same noise carries on when you turn off. Basically on mine it is cooling after being driven. Is quite loud - doesn't bother me since it does it when the engine is off too!