1.4 16v cutting out when coming to a stop

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
loud
Gold Member

1.4 16v cutting out when coming to a stop

Post by loud »

This is weird, i noticed it a couple of days ago when going fast in reverse then stopped then went to go forward then noticed it had cut out.

Today went into town and it cut out 3 or 4 times at traffic lights and roundabouts, not sure if it's associated with going high revs then putting clutch down then the revs are dropping too much or what...please help :(
James14100
Bronze Member

Post by James14100 »

Might be a problem with the engine management. Leave it running for 5mins or so, it's self adjusting so might sort itself out.

James
Silva_B!tch_Owner
Bronze Member

Post by Silva_B!tch_Owner »

Might be to do with the Engine Speed Sensor, mine use to do this all the time, cut out when im driving along, had it replaced on my dealer warrenty, hasn't happened since.

Maybe that helps?
laura_fairy_22
Silver Member

Post by laura_fairy_22 »

My car did this too...

http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/v ... d1d0153f64

here are the other problems i had too :(
MisterMinty
Getting There!

1.4 16V Cutting out when coming to a stop

Post by MisterMinty »

Hi

I've had this too. Experience has taught me it can be one of two things - one which you can fix, the other is a garage job.

The easy fix is a problem with your engine management/throttle. Polo's are fitted wither with a "fly by wire" throttle, or with a halfway house - a throttle that uses a conventional throttle cabel to the pedal, but ALSO has a motor fitted to the throttle valve..so the ECU can open the throttle if it thinks the engine is about to stall.
The first step is to clean off any gunge and muck that may have built up in and around the throttle. Visit your local Halfords and buy a big aerosol of Wynn's throttle cleaner (dunno the exact name but its a bloody big can, and the small print will tell you its perfect for our needs). Remove the airbox totally, start the engine, and spray into the throttle. DON"T BE CONCERNED if the engine labours or cuts out. So would you it you'd had pressurised solvents sprayed down your throat! On a serious note, do avoid breathing the spray because it is NOT NICE AT ALL.
If possible, stop the engine, then manually open the throttle valve and spray down into the manifold. You should be able to see all the black deposits dissolved away, leaving a throttle that will not catch on any build-up of crud. It'll take about 15 mintues to totally evapourate off.
NOW - reset your ECU. Do this by disconnecting the battery, count to ten, then reconnect it. Reset your radio security code :) and then start up and go for a drive. Give it about 15-20 miles and the ECU will have relearnt your engine's character and will hopefully manage it accordingly.

The other possibility is a knackered sensor, be it engine speed, throttle position sensor or similar. These all mean a trip to a garage - basically cos they aren't things we mere mortals can fix.... :oops:
loud
Gold Member

Post by loud »

i've still not got round to cleaning the throttle body... but i've kind of learnt to drive in an way it doesn't cut out, this means just putting it down the gears and keeping revs low when coming to a stop at like traffic lights, roundabouts etc as this is the only time it seems to cut out
PhilGTi
Platinum Member

Post by PhilGTi »

Try this. Drive your car for 10-15 mins then stop and go straight to the front and check if the fan is moving. If not the fan is f****d. Mine was the same...
Silva_B!tch_Owner
Bronze Member

Post by Silva_B!tch_Owner »

I think driving your car at high revs does this to your car, it only seems to do it when i kinda brake with the clutch and the rev counter flies up. Then it cuts out.
loud
Gold Member

Post by loud »

yea totally, e.g. in a traffic queue. Take off in first then queue stops so clutch in and brake. If i go to high revs and brake and clutch too fast revs will jump up then drop and die
Mapanashe
New
Drives: Polo 4 1.4 16v

Re: 1.4 16v cutting out when coming to a stop

Post by Mapanashe »

Prime suspect could be a dirty throttle body. Mine was behaving in the same manner and I remove the throttle body and EGR, I clean them with a carburetor cleaner. There was great change.