one thing after another...

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
way_z
Silver Member
Drives: 6n2 1.4 TDI

Post by way_z »

i can't believe it... my polo is knackered again! :cry: :cry: :cry:

it was driving so nicely past several weeks having sorted out all the problems and given it a service, also been using that superb v-power diesel.. BUT THEN last night as i was coming home turning into my road i dropped into 2nd and then hear a grinding noise coming from the gearbox when i pushed down on the throttle.. it wouldn't move?! :shock: the engine was still running but it just revved without going forward, had 2 call out my brother to push the car down the road to my house, whilst doing so noticed the front nearside wheel was jolting with any turn of the steering wheel.. i feared it was the dreaded gearbox jinx but at closer inspection i reckon the wheel has become disconnected from the driveshaft, only say this because i had the CV Boot replaced recently on the same side and it involved disassembling the nearside hub from the driveshaft??

i reckon this is the mechanics fault yet still i can imagine more money being spent on that damn polo!? still i don't hate my polo, its just so frustrating cuz im trying to save up for coilovers... as a matter of fact i washed the car 3 times in the past week!

what's wierd tho, the polo was considerate enough to break down only yards from my house... thank god it didn't do so on my recent trip to leeds! :?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Ouch. I sometimes get that grinding - its because the gear doesnt engage (usually becuase i havent clutched down fully) I just reclutch it and its ok,

But damn thats nasty - id take it back to the mechanic and get him to check it. Its easy enough in todays world to slip up:p

Cheers,

Alex
Dee-vub
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Dee-vub »

Yeh i was away to say, sounds like your driveshaft. Dont worry, that shouldnt set you back too much at all.
Mouse_GTI

Post by Mouse_GTI »

New year resolution - keep a spare wod of around £500 at least for the car in case something goes wrong
way_z
Silver Member

Post by way_z »

got the car sorted today, turns out i was right again with my diagnosis :roll: the outer CV joint had come off the driveshaft but what was amazing was the mechanic showed what holds it in, this tiny little metal clip! honestly its like the size of a hula hoop yet it does such an important job! :shock: it didn't fail tho, it just wasn't inserted properly.. the mechanic who made the error is on holiday till feb so i had to pay up 40 squid! here's hoping this be the last of any problems for now... im broke! :cry:
Arnoldo
Gold Member

Post by Arnoldo »

Feel for ya m8. If all that happened to me id be screwed :(
way_z
Silver Member

Post by way_z »

im back again with more problems... this thread might as well be made a sticky one at this rate!? :roll:

the outer CV joint that came off was put back on only to find its making alot of noise with every turn of the steering wheel.. can almost feel the driveshaft slipping when i put my foot on the throttle! so had to get a new cv joint at a cost of £93 and to make matters worst, the camber and wheel alignment is way off leaving one of my tyres bald on the inside!?

i dunno where the money's gonna come from now to fix these but i really need my car! anyone wanna buy a kidney?! :idea:
shantybeater

Post by shantybeater »

well i'd be happy to help you out for the RXII's hehe :twisted: