The best way to get sidelights out- PHOTOS on PAGE 3 :D:D!!!

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
way_z
Silver Member
Drives: 6n2 1.4 TDI

Post by way_z »

just had a look at the guide about sidelight removal... seems like alot of work! :shock: i'm sure there must be an easier way, only say this cuz when i first bought my car my sidelights were out.. being my 1st car and absolute novice, i failed in trying to change them myself so went down to VW, even tho one was out they changed both and charged me £12 including the bulbs and it was done while i waited in about 10-15mins! i only remember this as this was my only good experience with a VW dealer! :lol:
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

way_z wrote:just had a look at the guide about sidelight removal... seems like alot of work! :shock: i'm sure there must be an easier way, only say this cuz when i first bought my car my sidelights were out.. being my 1st car and absolute novice, i failed in trying to change them myself so went down to VW, even tho one was out they changed both and charged me £12 including the bulbs and it was done while i waited in about 10-15mins! i only remember this as this was my only good experience with a VW dealer! :lol:
Is yours a GTi model tho? Because the bumper removal is only necessary on the GTi model due to incredibly confined engine space.

Alex
way_z
Silver Member
Drives: 6n2 1.4 TDI

Post by way_z »

good point, mine isn't a gti! :roll:
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Well time for an update.

My new LED sidelights arrived today from ultraleds.com

I fitted them and what a difference - they are a cool crisp white. Perfect match for xenons bulbs over 3500k (so it incs OE's). I will upload some pictures tonight when i take the car out for a spin! :D:D

Also, I have put in an order for the GTI grille for my car. Headlight bulbs will be purchase in the second week of december! - Its all happeneing!!!

Alex
h4r1s
Platinum Member
Location: Leicester/Sheffield Drives: Polo MKV-6N2 1.4SE 16v 75BHP

Post by h4r1s »

I got them aswell today, are you sure they won't burn out because of the heat from the headlights? because mine haven't got no metal casing or anything.
JKM_GTI
Silver Member

Post by JKM_GTI »

h4r1s wrote:I got them aswell today, are you sure they won't burn out because of the heat from the headlights? because mine haven't got no metal casing or anything.
I am worried about this too, but my xenons are quite far away from the sidelights - anyone got any info they'd like to share :)
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Guys - i think you bought the wrong ones.

Metal cased ones are code U501WHP2+ which i mentioned in a previous post. Here is the link http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_info ... ts_id=1249

Xenon HIDs and xenon replacement bulbs will (and i mean will) melt and destroy, or will seriously shorten the working life of non metal cased LED sidelight bulbs due to the heat they generate. Distance makes little difference in the headlight unit. Another user of this forum has experienced the same problems with melted LED sidelights

I have also bought the new headlights today. PowerBulbs.co.uk have launched their new range of xenon headlights in both a Blue and White finish (just like osram cool blue and osram silverstar). As a launch promo they are doing buy one get one free. It is two of the same, unless you drop them an email and ask nicely for them to have two different types. In my case H1 and H7 for both dipped and full. I read on a review they are pretty good, and beat osram silverstars for brightness and their life span. Osrams burn out faster from what i have read. Anyway, should have them later this week with my new GTI front grille. There will be pics of all in due course!!!! If you want to see the difference, take a look at this link http://reverb.madstatic.com/blog/2006/0 ... eadlights/

Anywho, here are pics of how mine look now:

ImageImage
ImageImage

Cheers,

Alex
Last edited by alexperkins on Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

Mine are fine so far, they've been in a good few months and at the minute are showing no signs of failing.
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

My LED sidelights needed replacing after 7 months - ultraleds replaced the FOC though :D

Big improvement 8)
h4r1s
Platinum Member

Post by h4r1s »

I got those aswell
U501WHP2+
but they don't have a metal casing, they look just like yours when on. I also got some philips vision plus 50+ bulbs from www.powerbulbs.co.uk

here's the ones i got

Last edited by h4r1s on Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

h4r1s wrote:I got those aswell
U501WHP2+
but they don't have a metal casing, they look just like yours when on. I also got philips vision plus 50+
They cant be the same.Mine have a flat head - this is them:

These are an older version in the pic. My ones have a fully creamy yellow face to them - there are no LEDS protruding like yours, so whether UltraLEDs screwed up the order or something who knows.

I think these might be yours:
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_info ... 835e2a5e6a
As for the melting issue, i was going on what i have been told, and from what it says on the website:
Please note because the Leds are plastic they melt and fail (flicker) if placed to close to the Main headlight bulb (less than 3 inches away) - we will not exchange any bulb that has failed due to heat damage.
Xenons melt plastic LEDs. I havent had a chance to test this theory as i dont have Xenon HIDs but oh well :P

Alex
samil87
Silver Member

Post by samil87 »

could you post a pic with ur LED sidelights and main lights on in the dark

much appreciated
h4r1s
Platinum Member

Post by h4r1s »

I think they must have screwed up my order because even on my invoice it has the same number on it U501WHP2+
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

Give them a bell and explain it, the service you get with them is superb.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

samil87 wrote:could you post a pic with ur LED sidelights and main lights on in the dark

much appreciated
ye man. will snap some tonight.

alex