6N2 Project (Big update)

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
Dalescottfk
New

6N2 Project (Big update)

Post by Dalescottfk »

Bought a red 1.0 6N2 as my first car, got quite a few plans for it once I've got the cash
Got a pretty good deal, only needs a couple of things done, not sure who had it before the woman I bought it from because I'm sure that she didn't put the 4x4's in the parcel shelf haha

First thing was debadging the boot and a chopped aerial

Back by Dalescottfk, on Flickr

Front by Dalescottfk, on Flickr

Next was a dewiper today to make the back look a bit better

Dewiper by Dalescottfk, on Flickr

Still trying to find a flash red passenger side wing mirror in a local scrappy as it was missing when I bought it, also in need of a new indicator stalk to silence this constant ticking as soon as the ignition is turned on, thought it was the indicator relay behind the hazard switch but I've now been convinced that replacing the stalk will fix the problem.

Plans:
Debadge (Done)
Dewiper (Done)
Service
Passenger side wing mirror
Indicator stalk
Honeycombe Volkswagen Grill
Spray inetrior door arms black with the insert red
Black rearview
Spray tweeters black
Gti front bumper and splitter and rear bumper maybe
Coilovers
Banded steels, wellers steels or cups, still undecided, looking to buy used though
Last edited by Dalescottfk on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
georgen
Bronze Member

Re: New member 6N2

Post by georgen »

Looking good :D
mattskate
Bronze Member

Post by mattskate »

how did u get ur rear wiper off? had a look around mine but worried about cracking the window haha, and also where can u get those cover cap things?
Dalescottfk
New

Post by Dalescottfk »

Well there was no wiper on mine, just the arm as you can see in the photos above, after you pull the wiper and cap off it's a 1/2 socket to take the bolt off, then there's two torque head screws holding the boot casing on inside, the rest are just clips so gently pull the casing off (I managed to break one of the clips doing this...but it's not a big deal) Then the motor will be exposed, just undo the bolts and pull it off, then I just snipped the cable to get it out, I'm never going to use it again anyway.
25mm grommet in halfords for £1.79, perfect fit.
mattskate
Bronze Member

Post by mattskate »

Dalescottfk wrote:Well there was no wiper on mine, just the arm as you can see in the photos above, after you pull the wiper and cap off it's a 1/2 socket to take the bolt off, then there's two torque head screws holding the boot casing on inside, the rest are just clips so gently pull the casing off (I managed to break one of the clips doing this...but it's not a big deal) Then the motor will be exposed, just undo the bolts and pull it off, then I just snipped the cable to get it out, I'm never going to use it again anyway.
25mm grommet in halfords for £1.79, perfect fit.
great cheers, yea ive got the boot lid casing off before and broke the clips but it still stays on so its all good haha
Dalescottfk
New

Post by Dalescottfk »

Well that's the car off the road for a few days, my mate gave it a quick service the other day, replaced the spark plugs, oil and the oil filter which hadn't been touched in years.
He went to change the discs and pads the other day, got the drivers side done, but can't get the caliper off the passenger side as one of the bolts are seized and the head is rounded, so it's at a standstill, any ideas?
Brakes haven't been touched in years that's the problem, f**k all left of the pads and rusty chunks of the discs are just crumbling off
Looks like I'll be shelling out for 4 new tires this week aswell
Dalescottfk
New

Post by Dalescottfk »

Got the bolt out, some shock and unlock, 3 in 1 penetrating spray and hammered a 12mm socket onto the head, sorted.

Anyway, here's a picture from a few weeks ago when I hit 111,111 miles

111111 miles by Dalescottfk, on Flickr
red6n2
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by red6n2 »

looking good, looks very clean too,

the gti front bnumper only has the washer jets which wont work as you dont have that on a loom, the rear bumper is the same and splitters can be picked up seperatley all the time. if you just want them to match your better off just getting your rub strips sprayed or deleted to give you smooth bumpers (if your not sure on that take a look at my thread)
Dalescottfk
New

Post by Dalescottfk »

Looking for new bumpers now anyway, front has a crack and the back has a small crack, splitter is snapped as well so looking to pick up another, some t**t has backed into my car in my street today, and took paint off the front bumper so I'm definitely looking to replace it soon. The car has been sitting there jacked up for over a week with this brake issue and it's out of the way of all of the spaces, they didn't even have the decency to tell me.
red6n2

New member 6N2

Post by red6n2 »

Yeah some people are assholes !.
Dalescottfk
New

Post by Dalescottfk »

That's the car been back on the road for a couple of days but I've got yet another problem...
The car wasn't driven for about two weeks and ever since the gear box has been a nightmare, you have to force it into gear a lot of the time especially bad with first, second and reverse. I think the gear box might be fine and it might be a clutch issue, not sure, any ideas?
Sometimes it eases up a little though, it was sitting for two weeks and it was the brakes that were being worked on, the brake fluid did leak out at one point, all off it, but it's fine now.
So any ideas what the problem could be?
red6n2

New member 6N2

Post by red6n2 »

Most likely the pedal box !. I just ha mine rewelded for the same issues reverse would crunch every time 1st and 2nd were sometimes impossible, get it done before it snaps completely !.
Dalescottfk
New

Post by Dalescottfk »

Seems strange that it was fine before hand and after sitting there for two weeks it was like this?
Is it expensive to get it rewelded? And who could do it?
red6n2

New member 6N2

Post by red6n2 »

Any grade 1 or grade 2 mechanic should be able to weld even a fabricator can do it, it's just getting the box out and putting it back that the pain in the ass you may also need a new clutch cable as the self adjusters can reset themselves to bring slack. But that would be after a whole of driving,

Il briefly explain why it's happening. The pedal box is flexing due to the weak joints above the clutch (there only spot welded) and the flex in the box is taking away from the clutch and not letting it engage properly which is why it's impossible to select gears sometimes, I had it done last week for mates rates cost me £120
georgen
Bronze Member

Post by georgen »

You could always change it, Ive got one from a 2002 6n2, mine as I am running hydraulic clutch for six speed box. pm me if interested.