6N2 Project (Big update)

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
benmkiv
Platinum Member

New member 6N2

Post by benmkiv »

Pedal boxes cost around £40 from a dealers and if you know the right mechanics it's around about an hour job to swap it out ;)
georgen
Bronze Member

Re: New member 6N2

Post by georgen »

benmkiv wrote:Pedal boxes cost around £40 from a dealers and if you know the right mechanics it's around about an hour job to swap it out ;)
price about right for box, plus need new brake clip about a fiver (they always break so may as-well smash it and save yourself a lot of heart ache) but would be very surprised if it could be done start to finish in 1 hour.
benmkiv
Platinum Member

New member 6N2

Post by benmkiv »

Vw tech at our local place can do it without removing the dash or anything you just need a proper long chisel to take out the sheer bolts apparently. I've also heard f it being done somewhere just north of Pompey in 30 minutes.
georgen
Bronze Member

Post by georgen »

benmkiv wrote:Vw tech at our local place can do it without removing the dash or anything you just need a proper long chisel to take out the sheer bolts apparently. I've also heard f it being done somewhere just north of Pompey in 30 minutes.
Suppose he must of had a lot of practice, bet the steelers still charged at least 2 hours to do it tho :o
but 30 min :shock: , 5 min to take seat out and plastics off under dash, 5 min to refit, that leaves 20 minutes to remove column from box, cables out, unbolt box, refit new box and set up, plus new box is bare, so transfer peddles/bushes over. all while being upside down. 8) , he should start a mobile business up he would be rich. :wink:
benmkiv
Platinum Member

New member 6N2

Post by benmkiv »

Yeah never seen it done at the Pompey place in 30 mins but I saw him do it in an hour for £30 ;) at the dealers it would have been 5 hours ;) it's not what ya know it's who. If you can find someone to fit it for a good price is highly reccomend getting a new box because where originals were spot welded they've replaced this with a stronger mig weld which is what it should have been on the first place.
Dalescottfk
New

Post by Dalescottfk »

Pedal box is out, was some job, it's snapped completely.
New pedal box, shear bolts and plastic brake pedal bracket ordered from Volkswagen so I'll pick them up on Wednesday and hopefully it'll be finished by the weekend.
I'll upload some pictures of the pedal box later in the week
tt509
Gold Member

Post by tt509 »

keep the good work up
randell6n2blue
New

Post by randell6n2blue »

I just done my pedal box aswel took me ages ! Only thing i replace was a brake light switch i some how broke :/
Dalescottfk
New

Post by Dalescottfk »

Been thinking about this for a while, really wanted colour match bump strips because it's too much work and money to smooth the bumpers and I want cleaner look. Can I get these from vw and has anyone got a price?
Any idea if it would look okay with it being an 11 year old car or would paint fade be a problem?
TRiBaL
Bronze Member
Drives: 1.4 16V 6n2

Post by TRiBaL »

I've done this recently. it is a great improvement, parts are available through vw primed and ready for painting. I am talking about the side strips only. Bumper strips can be taken out and refitted after sanding and painting. If your paint is in good overall condition it will not look awkward. i had the whole car polished-waxed afterwards and it looks mint right now.
Dalescottfk
New

Post by Dalescottfk »

Might do it in future when cash is less tight.

Noticed something strange last night when I was filling in a V62 to get my registration documents, my chassis number is WVWZZZ6NZ... Not 6N2...?
WolverineX
New

Post by WolverineX »

Mines the same 6NZ... :D
Dalescottfk
New

Re: 6NZ RED

Post by Dalescottfk »

Help!?
This might seem stupid but I picked up a new wing mirror today and thought it wouldn't be a problem changing it. But... I can't get the window crank off... f*****g keep fit windows. Tried everything. Looked at every other post about it but nothing I've tried has worked...ideas?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

You have to squeeze the cover on the window winder together and pull/lever it off so you can remove the screw behind the cover. Take a look and youll see what i mean
Dalescottfk
New

Post by Dalescottfk »

Yeah I managed to work that out the same night, absolute nightmare :lol: Ah well it's sorted now, just the indicator stalk to replace to try to get rid of this stupid tick...