Lost keys

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
red6n2
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Lost keys

Post by red6n2 »

is there a way to override the immobiliser as I lost my key and my spare doesn't have a transponder in it. Or anyone know how i can get it going Thanks
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Lost keys

Post by alexperkins »

Nope - thats the whole point lol

You will have to go to your local VW dealer, get a new key ordered and then coded to your car - expect to pay around £100
red6n2

Lost keys

Post by red6n2 »

s**t... I think il get two just to be safe
red6n2

Lost keys

Post by red6n2 »

What do I need my V5 documents ?!.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

V5 and driving license. Passport too if you have one.
Lucaio
Bronze Member

Post by Lucaio »

I just got a spare key done from my VW dealer.

Got the normal key without all the remote central locking buttons on it, cost £74 for the key and then £48 to code it. I think it was like an extra £30 if you wanted the remote locking key.
red6n2

Lost keys

Post by red6n2 »

Thanks I forgot my mate works at my local VW he said he'd get me a discounts and to just bring my V5 I've know him for like 10 years so he knows its my car I'm gonna get two just to make sure I don't go through this again

10 days without a car... Great ha ha
MJS_93
Getting There!

Post by MJS_93 »

I'm thinking about getting a key made as the previous owner lost the spare key. I'm thinking of buying a blank one from Ebay for £7 including a blank transponder. I will get it cut at a local locksmith and then take it to VW for them to program the chip. Anyone got any ideas how much it will cost for them to code the chip to the immobiliser :?:
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

My local vw dealer charges £75 to code
MJS_93
Getting There!

Post by MJS_93 »

alexperkins wrote:My local vw dealer charges £75 to code
:shock: I suppose it's better than spending a fortune to get the locks changed if I lost the only key that I've got
Lucaio
Bronze Member

Post by Lucaio »

alexperkins wrote:My local vw dealer charges £75 to code
£75??? I thought all of the VW dealers would have charged the same price? That's nearly double what I paid!
john.p.clegg
Bronze Member

Post by john.p.clegg »

Why don't you all fit a keyfob with the message REWARD £10 and your mobile telephone number,I've got them on all my keys,there's no sicker feeling to return to your car and discover you've lost your keys,there's no better feeling than while you're pondering what to do next than your phone ringing,best £10 I've ever spent...

John :wink:
red6n2

Lost keys

Post by red6n2 »

Ha ha bit to late my mate works for VW so he's going to sort me out I'm going to just get 2 keys il most likely be selling up soon for a MK 5 Golf so I need to start sorting all these little bits out. I do like the idea if the eBay key and transponder though il look into that I have a key but it has no transponder in it. And I can't find anywhere that sells comparable ones around me.
Lucaio
Bronze Member

Post by Lucaio »

john.p.clegg wrote:Why don't you all fit a keyfob with the message REWARD £10 and your mobile telephone number,I've got them on all my keys,there's no sicker feeling to return to your car and discover you've lost your keys,there's no better feeling than while you're pondering what to do next than your phone ringing,best £10 I've ever spent...

John :wink:
Why have I never thought of this wonderful idea? Thank you!
MJS_93
Getting There!

Post by MJS_93 »

red6n2 wrote:Ha ha bit to late my mate works for VW so he's going to sort me out I'm going to just get 2 keys il most likely be selling up soon for a MK 5 Golf so I need to start sorting all these little bits out. I do like the idea if the eBay key and transponder though il look into that I have a key but it has no transponder in it. And I can't find anywhere that sells comparable ones around me.
On Ebay there are some ID44 transponder chips for £6.25. It states that they are for a Volkswagen Polo 2000-2002.