Blanked egr valve - MOT success

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
soother
New
Drives: 6N2

Blanked egr valve - MOT success

Post by soother »

This is a follow up to my post here [url http://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=67262][/url]

I thought others would be interested to know that my 1.0 MPI 6N2 (112K miles) just passed the MOT emissions test by a good margin with the egr valve blanked off.

I was also pleased that the CAT had not been upset by several pints of 50:50 antifreeze that either went through the engine or into the exhaust manifold during the egr leak problems.

There IS life in the old girl yet. Next problem, a crack along the screen just above the bottom edge... I hope my insurance plays fair!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Blanked egr valve - MOT success

Post by alexperkins »

Glad it passed :)
alanjwong
Bronze Member
Drives: 2001 VW Polo 6N2 1.4 16v 100BHP

Post by alanjwong »

soother wrote:This is a follow up to my post here [url http://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=67262][/url]

I thought others would be interested to know that my 1.0 MPI 6N2 (112K miles) just passed the MOT emissions test by a good margin with the egr valve blanked off.

I was also pleased that the CAT had not been upset by several pints of 50:50 antifreeze that either went through the engine or into the exhaust manifold during the egr leak problems.

There IS life in the old girl yet. Next problem, a crack along the screen just above the bottom edge... I hope my insurance plays fair!
What would be the advantage of blanking off the egr valve?
soother
New

Post by soother »

The advantage of blanking off the egr valve?
For me it was not needing to buy an egr costing £150 or more (a fair percentage of the value of the car) just before a MOT which the car could have failed for other reasons like steering wheel free play or a poisoned CAT.
Egr valve blanking seems to be standard practice as a mod for many makes and models. There are plenty of blanking plates and kits. Google it!
piglet14
Bronze Member
Drives: Arosa

Post by piglet14 »

Did blanking have any effect on the idle or cold running?
soother
New

Post by soother »

#piglet14

There was no major effect on idling or cold running, but if anything there was improvement. I believe that the egr valve should be closed under both of those conditions anyway. Fast idle and pulling away was improved and smoother.
The difficulty is that the valve can fail stuck fully open closed, or maybe just partly. I believe that either will give an eml warning light and a P0404 error code. Stuck open is worst, and would cause rough idle etc. Stuck closed (or pipes choked with carbon) would be the same as blanking. There is no easy way of knowing without removing it and looking. You will likely need silicone gasket goo if you do this (or blank it) because the proper pressed steel gasket is hard to find.
sectork
New

Post by sectork »

I have a 6N2 1.0 mpi which has got the idle to fail many times.
Coil, sparks, spark cables, injectors, injection bodies, etc. have already been exchanged.
Where is the EGR valve?
Does it not only exist in diesel engines?
Thank you.
creon
New
Drives: arosa

Post by creon »

an old thread i can see,

has anyone else done this and was there any consequence. was it blanked off both sides as im having the same problem with gasket leaking coolant and also sourcing a replacement.

my egr was stuck open therefore would not idle cleaned out and its fine but im thinking of blanking it off, the ammount of coolant going through it hardly makes it worthwhile, could i blank it both sides so as not to have coolant contaminating the egr or throttle body?