Total loss of electrical power while driving

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
grehansc
New
Drives: 6N2

Total loss of electrical power while driving

Post by grehansc »

I've recently been experiencing difficulties with my 2000MY VW Polo 1.0 6N2 not starting. Symptoms are that when key is placed in ignition and turned, nothing happens, and none of the lights on the instrument panel light up, nor even the LCD display for the miles driven etc. I've checked the battery and there's no problem with it. If he car is left for a while, it may then start perfectly.
I checked the battery to verify that leakage current when switched off was not excessive (it wasn't) and after re-connecting battery it wouldn't start. After leaving for approx 20 minutes it started without a problem. I took it out for a drive about an hour later and while I as moving along at approx. 30 mph the engine died and all electrical power to the instrument pack was lost, almost like I had switched the key in the ignition back to off (I hadn't).

I don't have the electrical diagrams for the 6N2 1 litre model, so I can't try to diagnose hat the electrical fault my be. I'm thinking that perhaps there's a relay that may explain these symptoms if it was faulty.

Anyway, if anyone has had a similar experience, or has access to the electrical diagrams, I'd be grateful for your advise on what he root cause for this issue may be.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Total loss of electrical power while driving

Post by alexperkins »

It could either be a poor earth or more likely a faulty alternator
soother
New

Post by soother »

#grehansc

Hmm... At the risk of Grandmother/eggs:
From experience, my 6N2 1.0 (like many other cars) will drive either with a charged battery and a non-working alternator, or (after starting) with a working alternator and no battery connected, so to me, that sudden failure at 30MPH seems to confirm a bad or loose connection upstream of the battery/alternator junction.
I suggest you check the connections in the junction/fuse box above the battery. If no joy then also check that all all fuses in the main fuse box are pushed in properly.

I don't have a wiring diagram, but I have attached fuse data. Good luck!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3onqeg7padgsz ... s.jpg?dl=0
937carrera
Silver Member
Drives: 2000 Polo GTi

Post by 937carrera »

I fixed a similar problem on a truck yesterday. No lights when you turned the key, suspected flat battery, but they weren't.

It was a bad connection on the alternator. Now the starter / alternator wiring is undoubtedly different between a 6N2 and a truck, the symptoms do point to a poor connection - either earth or feed.

Disconnect the battery while removing connections, there's a lot of energy in a car battery
grehansc
New

Post by grehansc »

Thanks to all who responded to my request for help.
It turned out that one of he battery connections was loose. I didn't think that a loose connection there would result in total loss of power to the instrument panel, but I was wrong about that.
Thanks again.
soother
New

Post by soother »

Hi grehansc

Thanks for reporting back.
For my records, exactly which connection was loose? I have the same 6N2 and may be unlucky enough to encounter the same problem some day!
Thumper_Polo
New
Drives: 6n2

Post by Thumper_Polo »

I had issues with this in decemember and turned out to be a coilpack issue, My car would drive sometimes lose complete power and wouldn't start up again for an hour or so. Or some days as soon i stop it'll not turn on at all.