Gearbox Scraping Noise

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
hughstary
New
Drives: 1.4 16V 2000 Reg

Gearbox Scraping Noise

Post by hughstary »

Hi All
This is my first post, and I suspect has been posted before but I've not found a complete answer. I have noticed a "scraping" noise when in gear and under load - goes away when the clutch is depressed. At first it sounded like a disc or pad problem, but changed all those and no different. The noise tracks the engine speed - sounds like something rubbing part-way through each rotation.

I was advised it was likely to be a worn clutch with the rivets rubbing on the flywheel - but it's not. The clutch is getting on but not excessively worn - and no marks on flywheel. There is a fairly flimsy metal shield between the clutch housing and the block - does anyone have any experience of the flywheel rubbing on that?

Also I have more trouble getting into gear when the engine has warmed up - particularly in reverse

Having searched around, it seemed that the gearbox is a common problem so I took the bell housing off for a look. The diff bearings feel fine - except for the broken tapered washers but I understand these can still work even in several pieces?

The bearing that has more play is on the middle shaft. Everything is held in place but seems like there is some wobble. The input shaft bearing also feels fine.

So - is the middle shaft bearing likely to cause the noise? I guess having come this far it's worth getting that replaced?

Any other possibilities?

Thanks!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Gearbox Scraping Noise

Post by alexperkins »

Does sound like you have some gearbox issues

It would be worth doing a full oil change on the gearbox with 75W90 fully synthetic as a starting point

As for the grating, the flywheel rarely grates. Its more likely to be due to the friction housing and one of the metal spring plates grinding, or a fault in the clutch release bearing