Polo 6n2 TDI Turbo Issue

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
Jarvis_B
New
Drives: VW Polo 6N2

Polo 6n2 TDI Turbo Issue

Post by Jarvis_B »

Hi all,
I have a 2002 6N2 1.4 TDI, along with a many other issues the most annoying is an intermittent boost problem.
I've taken it into a garage, they put the code reader in and checked it was boosting okay and that I didn't have any cracked pipes. The conclusion to is that there is no problem with the air intake...

BUT the problem only occurs after driving at high speeds for a while.. I'll explain the issue.
I'll be driving around 70/80mph for no less than half an hour to 40 mins when I'll loose all power and I mean all, it's as if I don't even have a turbo.
Pulling off will be sluggish and I have to change into the next gears near enough straight away to keep the car pulling.
Now its not a turbo lag as I've tried the old trick of turning the car off and on again, although after coming to a stop and letting the car cool down it works again but the problem will persist and come back to haunt me.
The car also gets through coolant WELL!

Sorry for the short story on this, I am fairly new to polo's and I am wanting to work on mine to get it into a condition I can learn to love.
Absolutely any suggestions would be appreciated OR if you can recommend any amazing VW Mechanics around Lincolnshire (Grantham area) that would be great.

Thanks!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Polo 6n2 TDI Turbo Issue

Post by alexperkins »

The turbo bearings may be seizing up

If you are using coolant, it's quite possible there's a fairly serious leak somewhere and certain areas aren't getting cooled properly.

I'd say it might need a new turbo and whatever is causing the coolant leak to be fixed