Jacking points on the 6N2 16v?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
mrdobing
New
Drives: 6N2 1.4 16V SE

Jacking points on the 6N2 16v?

Post by mrdobing »

Hi guys,

First time poster here. I've looked at the other 4 threads on this topic and they have helped slightly. I'm a total beginner mechanic and taking my baby steps to starting my own maintenance and repairs. I know this might seem terribly silly to some people but I'd rather be 100% sure I'm doing this right then risk dropping my car on my head. :mrgreen:

Where does everyone recommend placing axle stands and a trolley jack?

My sill has a slightly thicker weld towards the back where I managed to trolley jack the car up. It doesn't have any markings. I don't have space to get the stand on the same sill. I have looked under the car for any obvious jacking points. I have a square looking bracket that sticks out about 3/4 on each side with the remains of some rubber. Could this be a jacking point?

Can anyone shed any light on this and provide me an absolute dummies guide on where to put the jack and stands? I'm sure once know this I can start my journey in learning the basics!

I can provide a video if need be.

Thanks all.

Matt
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Jacking points on the 6N2 16v?

Post by alexperkins »

On the front i normally use the rear subframe/wishbone mounting bolt as thats a good strong point (with a cup, rather than on the bolt itself)

Rears I use the axle where it meets the body on the flat.

On a 16v the official jacking points are about 6 inches in from the end of the sill at each end. Theres a little cut in the sill to signify underneath and you may or may not have a triangle on the sill itself.