New purchase. What checks to do.

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
1964johnr
New
Drives: 1.4 Year 2000

New purchase. What checks to do.

Post by 1964johnr »

Just bought a polo 1.4 W reg for my daughter for £500. Nice clean car with 90,000 on the clock and a full MOT. Cream leather seats.I need to change the oil and filter because it has done 10,000 miles in the last year since the last change. Far to many miles if you ask me, but at least the seller told me. Any experts out there who can advise me on checks I might make or things to look out for would be appreciated.
937carrera
Silver Member
Drives: 2000 Polo GTi

Re: New purchase. What checks to do.

Post by 937carrera »

I would start off with the usual service items, but most importantly check the age of the timing belt and replace unless you are sure it is still good.
piglet14
Bronze Member
Drives: Arosa

Re: New purchase. What checks to do.

Post by piglet14 »

937carrera wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:16 pm I would start off with the usual service items, but most importantly check the age of the timing belt and replace unless you are sure it is still good.
+1

Like you I bought a 500 quid job for eldest son, it ended up surviving 2 sons but guess who's ended up with it! and no, I don't love it.

Common problems include:
Collapsing pedal box, usually caused by heavy clutch either because the clutch is on it's last or the cable is old & tight. Cables are cheap & easy.
Ignition barrel & door lock failures, -WD40/light oil
Gearbox bearings rumble & failure, I changed to fully synth oil which quietened things down a bit and turning the radio up helps.