Polo 2000 1.0 issues with starter motor

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
John24
New
Drives: Polo 1.2 twist

Polo 2000 1.0 issues with starter motor

Post by John24 »

Hi everyone,

I got an odd one. Around Christmas time my old starter motor died, it would not engage and just made weird noises, turns out the drive pinion had snapped off. So I got it replaced the starter with a used one from ebay and all has been good :)
Now the past month I started getting issues starting the car as cranking became harder and harder till the point I could no longer start the car and the dash would reset (all dials would reset, I would lose time and travel miles). So I thought the battery was on the way out and got a new one but even with new one it didn't feel good, cranking felt sluggish as if something was holding it back. Until a point that even with new battery the starter would engage and try to crank but couldn't.So I took the starter apart and found out that the magnets inside were cracked and there lots of broken pieces moving about.
I got another used starter motor from ebay and it's still not great, when I turn the key the starter spins for a bit then pauses and continues to crank the car until it starts slowly. Yesterday it would no longer start, so I used the battery and It would start my partners car but not mine, so I think the battery is strong enough.

What the hell is going on?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Polo 2000 1.0 issues with starter motor

Post by alexperkins »

I would get a new starter motor from GSF - they do 60% off most weekends with a code. Used starters are often worn out or heavily worn and won’t deliver the power like a refurb unit
John24
New

Post by John24 »

PLOT TWIST!!!!
Took the starter motor out and noticed something odd. Look at this:

As you can see it's missing the bush:

And I assume this would stop the starer from cranking properly. Now even if I add a new bush the housing has gone oval which most likely would affect the new bush as well :(
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

That’s not looking too good. A new bush with some JB liquid metal to take up the space around the outside of it might resolve the issue. Give that a go. Else it’ll be a new gearbox or replacement housing

check your engine earths too whilst you are at it
John24
New

Post by John24 »

Well I got the bush and not looking that good tbh :(

I've lined all the sides with JB liquid metal but access to it was a right pain and did not apply evenly on all sides so sadly I don't have high hopes for it. Fingers crossed it will hold!!!
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Thats pretty out of shape!

If liquid metal fills the gaps you might be lucky
John24
New

Post by John24 »

Fired up the car this morning all started quite nicely was actually surprised how quickly the starter spun on. Had a small ride so used the starter maybe 3 - 4 times and all seems good so far.
BUT I bought a bigger steel bush, if goes badly I will drill the hole bigger to install the steel bush as a spacer and add the normal starter bush inside of it. Fingers crossed it wont come to it.
Last edited by John24 on Sat May 12, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Glad to hear it. The backup plan sounds sensible. Be sure to drift the spacer in and the Bush into that so it’s all nice and tight if it comes to it