Ignition advance setup

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
sstirley
New
Drives: 6n2 1.0 MPi

Ignition advance setup

Post by sstirley »

Hi,

I've searched through as best I can but not seen any mention of this topic anywhere. We've got a 1.0 MPi 6N2 Polo that's been running pretty nicely since we sorted all new ignition parts a couple of years ago. Just recently it's started struggling to pull away, and testing it with my old Gunson's timing gun it seems that there's no ignition advance when you blip the throttle from idle - which would explain why it bogs down a bit. My question is simply how is this supposed to work on the Polo? I can't find any obvious hose or sensor but assume it's electronic as there's a coil pack rather than distributor and similar.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Simon.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Ignition advance setup

Post by alexperkins »

Correct, it is all electronic on these. Its controlled by the camshaft sensor and the crankshaft sensor to determine ignition timing vs engine speed

Id suggest you pick up a haynes manual for these as it has a nicely detailed section on how all this works.

In the mean time, do a full service - air filter, oil filter, oil, fuel filter, sparks if required and clean the throttle body and align it - thatll probably resolve your issue.

It could also be a problem with your coolant temperature sensor as these are very prone to failure
sstirley
New
Drives: 6n2 1.0 MPi

Post by sstirley »

Thanks for the info - explains why I can't see any vacuum sensor :D

I guess it uses the throttle position sensor to control the advance when you increase demand suddenly. It could be a temperature issue, I hadn't thought of that - is it the same sender as the dashboard gauge does anyone know?

Thanks again.

PS. don't have the Haynes because we have had so few issues in 3.5 years that we've never had to buy it. Now we are probably trading it in soon so it won't be worth it
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Yes, based on that and MAP pressure also

And yes, same sensor, different circuit (it is a twin circuit sensor)