O/S/R Brake Pipe Failed

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
Dsldude
New
Drives: 2001 1.4 Polo TDI

O/S/R Brake Pipe Failed

Post by Dsldude »

So my 2001 1.4 TDI went for the MOT and failed on general poor condition of disc/pads front and rear, went and got the bits.
Took the first wheel off, Offside Rear, and greeted by a brake pipe in seriously bad condition, as you can see in the photo even
though I was as careful as possible by the time I changed the disc and pads it was pissing brake fluid :shock:

I guess from the angle they just cant see it when they do the MOT if they cant take the wheels off, the Nearside rear was in allot better
condition, and both are original not sure why its so rusty on the offside.

Tempted to just scrap this car now even though its been great since I had it in 2004, had to get a clutch before the MOT if I knew
I was going to get all this hassle I would of just got rid before.

How easy is it to swap this pipe?, Euro car parts seems to have one for about £23 with discounts, never done anything like this before though
just basic car tasks, any guides or advise on tools would be appreciated.

Scraper wants to pay about £130 just bugs me they will be getting a car with a decent engine and gearbox, plus all the front suspension was replaced not long ago.
corrosion starting to get the car now though thats the issue.
937carrera
Silver Member
Drives: 2000 Polo GTi

Re: O/S/R Brake Pipe Failed

Post by 937carrera »

It's a common failure, the part from ECP is a good fit and provided you invest a bit of time in cleaning the unions and putting penetrating oil on it's usually a straightforward job.

Your image doesn't show up on the forum for people who aren't logged into Google
Dsldude
New

Post by Dsldude »

Thanks for the reply, car does very little miles a year so to be honest the wheel hasn't been off since 2015 when disc/pads last replaced and that was done by a
garage, scary to think this was waiting to kill me at any moment and never picked up on any MOT's before, not sure why the offside is so messed up, not got a picture of the nearside but well its night and day int much better order and both are original never replaced.

937carrera
Silver Member
Drives: 2000 Polo GTi

Post by 937carrera »

The black bit is brake fluid is it ?

Now I can see the pictures I am reminded I also tend to wire brush the trailing arm and paint it with smooth Hammerite to prevent further corrosion on the arm. Having a proper brake pipe spanner helps ensure the nut comes undone from the union and you should also put penetrating oil on the bleed nipple, though if that won't budge, even after a bit of heat, you can always back bleed from the caliper connection by winding the pistons back.
Dsldude
New

Post by Dsldude »

Thanks for the great tips will give it a go over the next couple of days.

Yep its brake fluid, wasn't leaking when I took the wheel off, by the time I replaced the disc and pads its was though
even though I was careful not to move the caliper much, think it was the pressure of winding back the caliper that
pushed it over the edge, obviously as soon as seen the state of the brake pipe it was going to get replaced regardless .

Shame about the rust on this car really, had it since 2004 spent life un-garaged always looked after it mechanically fitting genuine parts cambelt kits
and what not, but never really thought about whats going on underneath overtime :cry:

Think the engine and gearbox could easily do another 100k its at 160k, chassis itself underneath is clean and well coated in whatever thick paint stuff
VW use, weak spots seem to be the metal work attached like front subframe and rear axle .