Smoke from windscreen vents

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
Barlis
New
Drives: 6N Saloon

Smoke from windscreen vents

Post by Barlis »

Hi, the heater blower on our 1999 6N Tdi Saloon stopped working recently and today we had smoke coming from the windscreen vents just a couple of miles from home. The fan was set to on at the time but the blower wasn't working. We managed to get home with the blower set to off and the smoke stopped. Any suggestions as to what may have caused this and how to fix? Hopefully without having to remove too much of the dashboard!

Thanks.
937carrera
Silver Member
Drives: 2000 Polo GTi

Re: Smoke from windscreen vents

Post by 937carrera »

It sounds like the blower motor (or series resistor) has failed.

The blower motor is located beneath the pollen filter (access via the plenum area) and behind the glovebox, so it's glovebox out IIRC.
Barlis
New
Drives: 6N Saloon

Post by Barlis »

Thanks 937carrera, I'd actually found a video on you tube which said the same. New resistor and fan blower ordered so hopefully that'll cure it. On my Classic Saloon model there is just a small tray under the passenger side airbag which comes out with just two screws and gives decent access to the resistor. The connectors came off ok so didn't need to cut the single red wire that can sometimes corrode and you can't get it off. Getting the blower out is a bit tricky, small tab that you have to release and then twist it clockwise (I think..) until it comes loose, and then fight with various bits of trim and cables to get it out . Easier if you remove the bottom panel as well.
937carrera
Silver Member
Drives: 2000 Polo GTi

Post by 937carrera »

.......... and glovebox out means centre console out, here's an photo from when I had to remove mine