1.0MPI has gone pop - what else will fit?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
Captainbeaky
New
Drives: KTM950

1.0MPI has gone pop - what else will fit?

Post by Captainbeaky »

Hi,

A customer has brought in an Ibiza 1.0 MPI with a bad engine - no 1 cylinder is fouling the plug, and its smoking badly.
So the engine is US. Customer is scrapping the car off, so I've got it for almost nothing.

I was thinking of having this as the workshop runabout/loan car since my last loaner got bought by a customer!

Just wondering what else will fit into the engine bay without too much hassle, but will be reliable?

I can cope with the electronics and fuel injection - not worried about that (might even use it as an opportunity to play with a megasquirt) - but to pass safety inspection, it's got to look like an original fitment, so it's got to bolt in without any engine bracket mods etc, and not be too obviously oversize.

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Finleye2000
New
Drives: 1.0mpi 6n2

Re: 1.0MPI has gone pop - what else will fit?

Post by Finleye2000 »

I don’t have much of a clue for this sort of stuff, but I had the polo with a 1.0 MPI engine (similar car platform I think), and they also sold that model with a 1.9 SDI engine.
Wonder if you could put in a 1.9 asz/arl in if they’re not much bigger in size? That would be fun...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Captainbeaky
New
Drives: KTM950

Post by Captainbeaky »

Yeah, would love to fit a 1.9 diesel, but sadly, the inspection might just notice....
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Plenty of choices. 1.4 8 or 16V or a 1.6GTI block for petrol. 1.4TDI or 1.9SDI