Headlight problems

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
Polo_Openair
New
Drives: Blue GT 1.4 150hp dsg

Headlight problems

Post by Polo_Openair »

Hello guys and girls.
First of all this is my first post here, but I have been visiting the site when I needed help to seek faults and how people have fixed it. Also I'm not from Denmark so English is not my first language, but I know most translations for components, but if you don't know what I mean just comment on the post or pm me and I will describe it to best of my ability.

Now for my problem:
I have a polo 6n2 1.4 16V with engine code AUA, and it's an open air. I turned my car of for a couple minutes while refueling, and when I started the car my headlight didn't light up (the main beam) and there was no light in my dashboard. There is usually always light in the dashboard and all the light on the car is on, no matter what setting the light switch was sat on (with main beam of when it was on parking light).
I have tried this once before about one and a half year, back then the light all of sudden came back when I was driving on a bumpy road, since then I have replaced one of the bulbs since it blew.

I haven't really tried anything, because I ended up parking it at friends place to avoid getting a ticket, but I tried turning the light switch and when it's turned to parking light it turns on the parking light, and the light in the dashboard, and if I turn it another notch to full light it's still only parking light and of course light in the dashboard. If I try to use the high beam with the light on it only works if I keep pulling the indicator arm. Just like if the light switch was set on off.

In advance thanks for the help.
I will go through all the ideas tomorrow when it's light and I can get my car home to where I have the proper tools.
As a last note, I have already tried to search the forum for this problem, bu i haven't found anything that sounded like this. If you know of another post which have ideas I can try, feel free to send me the link to it, anything helps so I have a idea where to start seeking for faults.
Again thanks for the help
937carrera
Silver Member
Drives: 2000 Polo GTi

Re: Headlight problems

Post by 937carrera »

Welcome !

The headlamps (main beam and dipped beam) only work when the ignition switch is turned to the "run" position - so in normal use when the engine is running.

This is by design, not a fault, to stop the battery being run down by mistake

Have you checked the fuses - has one blown, or perhaps the contacts are dirty

I assume you have DRL, daylight running lights, is that just with the sidelights, or with headlamps ?

Med venlig hilsen ;)