Weird window problem 6N2

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
yariwes
New
Drives: 6N2

Weird window problem 6N2

Post by yariwes »

Hi all,

I'm not actually from the UK so I'm not sure if the moderators will allow me to post here, but on the Dutch polo forum's I haven't really gotten an answer to my problem:

My 2001 6N2 has a weird issue with its windows. I went to work and when I walked back I noticed both my windows were down, whether I accidentally sat on the remote or if they did it because of some electrical fault I'm not really sure.
It was a very rainy day and my interior was soaked. I tried to lift the windows by using the remote, using the door buttons, and by using the physical key, none of these worked (for both driver and passenger windows).

I luckily registered for the Dutch roadside assistance service (ANWB) just a week before so I gave them a call and they showed up pretty quick. The mechanic noticed the driver-side window regulator fuse was blown (25A) but when he tried replacing it (twice), the fuse instantly blew. We checked the cabling between the door and there was nothing wrong. He told me he was pretty sure it was the driver-side window motor that was causing all the trouble.

Now I'm not an expert on these things. I can understand how a faulty motor would lead to the driver side window not working, but how does this cause the passenger side to not work either? Does the blown fuse for the driver's side window also disable the passenger window? What are some steps I can take to diagnose this further?

I've already had to pour some money into maintenance for this car and would like to make sure before I buy the parts.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!