RCD 310 BT Module Install

Discuss In Car Entertainment
perarduapropatria
Getting There!
Drives: 2011 (61) Polo 1.6 TDI SEL

RCD 310 BT Module Install

Post by perarduapropatria »

First bit of work to the car - adding bluetooth.

I sourced the 9w7 module from here, and it came with a piggy-back loom and the microphone.

1. Microphone.

I removed the centre light fitting, but couldn't remove the roof grab handles (last seen on Mk4 Golf - they unscrewed!) so I ended up pulling the cable through to the passenger visor and then tucking in along the top of the windscreen before running down the A pillar and in through the trim on the side of the dashboard.

Loads of videos make a big thing of how hard it is to get the mic to the back of the radio. Old wire coathanger: 30seconds.

2. Module

There was no way I was going to go to the effort of removing the seat in order to put it under the passenger seat, we also have the under-seat boxes, so I tried to wedge it into the dash; Fat chance. Had I been able to remove the HVAC dials I might've been able to fit it behind the HVAC controls, but our car has the three-dial controls and there is a metal connector controlling vent direction, meaning I couldn't remove the dials.

Even after chopping bits off with a hacksaw, it still wouldn't fit.

I went for this solution:

Tucked behind the carpet in front of the passenger footwell. There's no way it's moving, and I used lashing of black nasty to secure the module and the cables:

I've subsequently pushed it further behind the carpet and secured all the various cables. No one has got legs long enough, in our family, to touch it.

When making a call from my phone (iPhone 6+) I see this on the headunit:

I can stream audio to the headunit from my iPhone, but it doesn't display track data. This also works with Google Maps for navigation:

Looking forward to putting an RCD510 in there and seeing if it all still works! I missed the parcel today! :evil:
Last edited by perarduapropatria on Sat May 16, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
perarduapropatria
Getting There!

Re: RCD 310 BT Module Install

I wonder if I can now replicate the iPad install I did on the Jaguar. Just need somewhere to secure the magnets!

-------------------

First there was the sub £10 fix for the windscreen rattle on the X100.

I'm pleased to announce the sub £20 iPad integration.

You will need:

4 x Neodymium magnets - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370632565224? ... 1439.l2649

1 x roll of black nasty.

I had high hopes for Gorilla Tape, but it wasn't a patch on my all-time favourite adhesive.

1 x iPad case - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400339653332? ... 1439.l2649

Method

1. Remove the trim in the centre of the console and position your magnets. Secure with lashings of the black stuff.

2. Replace the trim and make sure the clock still works! I initially positioned the magnets in the gaps between the three dials, and the clock hands wouldn't move :smt013 . I moved them to the same horizontal position, but at the base of the trim, and it's now fine. You can see their location from the view through the case here:

3. Remove trim and move to a workbench.

4. Make sure the polarity of the each magnet is correct before strapping it to the case!

5. Fit iPad into case and test. Shown is an iPad 2 with WiFi. I think they are significantly heavier than the newer models. In order to get GPS I had to use an aftermarket GPS receiver made by a company called Bad Elf.

There can be an issue with the iPad trying to send music through the GPS receiver. If necessary, I shall put a cheap Bluetooth adaptor onto the end of my cassette adapter and stream audio through that.

The blue case is one that was lying around the house. I intend to use a clear case for the iPad 2 eventually, as well as for the Mini. The Mini has it's GPS built in as it's the cellular model.
perarduapropatria
Getting There!

RCD 510 installed and picked up BT module straight away. No functionality lost!

Wish I'd gone for the RNS510 now!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

You can always upgrade to an RNS and sell the RCD :D
perarduapropatria
Getting There!

alexperkins wrote:You can always upgrade to an RNS and sell the RCD :D
Maybe.

Compelling, this upgrading business!
perarduapropatria
Getting There!

alexperkins wrote:You can always upgrade to an RNS and sell the RCD :D
That's it - I'm going for the RNS510. We've got MMI 3G High in the A6 and it's the nearest I can get! Now just need steering wheel controls..,..

RCD will be up for sale!