Repairing coilover boot (KW)

Discuss Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Repairing coilover boot (KW)

Post by david burton »

I was rotating the wheels and tyres around on the Polo the other day, and noticed on checking the suspension that the KW coilover boot has cut and damaged, leaving the strut open to the elements.

Is there anything I can use to repair this? They're an awful design and very flimsy and must have got caught in the suspension coils and ripped.

I want to sort this before the salt gets on the roads!

Cheers
david burton

Post by david burton »

anyone?
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

I think you can get them from KW, check that your within the height range of the suspension because even though there might be threads left on the shockbody there might not be enough length on the shock, i.e. the shock piston is coming close to the bottom of the shock body and there simply isnt the room for the boot so it gets squished.

the devils advocate in me reminds me that i used to run my 6n2 at -130mm for AGES! only problem I was getting was the O/S driveshaft on the chassis leg :D
david burton

Post by david burton »

Thanks for this, I'll pop them an email.

I'm running within the height range, there are plenty of threads left and there is a gap between the top of the tyre and the arch (about 10-15mm) as I use the car as a daily commuter. I can't put up with scrubbing and scraping 8)

Are coilovers easy to take apart? I've never tried but I don't mind giving it a go.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Yeh they're easy enough. My coilovers have next to no protection. I just clena them reguarly.

I heard somewhere that cling film may work as protection? Not sure on this claim but can't see why it won't work.