sport shocks rubbing unevenly 6n2

Discuss Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres
jlmmy
New

sport shocks rubbing unevenly 6n2

Post by jlmmy »

hi guys, i have recently fitted the yellow sport shocks off ebay with 60/40 springs and the outer edge of front right wheel is rubbing on the arch on bumps and sharp left turns when the left side is ok. it was suggested that the wheel arches arnt symmetrical in these cars but surely that cant be true.

has anyone else noticed that the right rubs more than the left?

i paid all together nearly 300 to buy these shocks and fit them and i am very unhappy with the car now.

thanks for any help
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: sport shocks rubbing unevenly 6n2

Post by alexperkins »

Have you had the alignment checked?
jlmmy
New

Post by jlmmy »

hi there, ye the tracking has been done and put loads of camber on to bring the top of the tyre away from the arch which has helped a bit but its still really bad on the right side.

there isnt much clearance on either side but why is it so much worse one one side. i could live with how it is on the left
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Have the lower ball joints been replaced by any chance?
jlmmy
New

Post by jlmmy »

i dont think so mate. u think changing them might help? i think the wishbone bushes are worn but dont think that would make it arch like it does.
nry
Bronze Member

Post by nry »

Get a full tracking and camber setup done then see how it is...I tried some £300 shocks and springs on my Astra years ago...worst mistake of my life, lasted 18 months and they were knackered. Fitted a decent kit and all the rubbing problems disappeared and the ride and handling was transformed...cost me twice the price of the first £300 set but in the long run I'd have saved loads not wearing out tyres and wheel arches if I went for the better setup from day one...

Unless you've had the tracking and camber set correctly there's no way of knowing if your tyre wear and handling has been compromised, nor if this is the cause of the rubbing.
jlmmy
New

Post by jlmmy »

i think if i ran anymore camber than i am it would kill tyres and tram line too much. forgot to mention im running 16 inch rims with 195/40 tyres. its a nice stance but s**t to drive. i just need to work out why its one side. cant really see anything from looking.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

16s at 60/40 can rub. Depends how wide the wheels are. Friend of mine had the same issue with a h&r kit which was very expensive!

In the end he got 15s to fix the problem
jlmmy
New

Post by jlmmy »

iv now bought 30 mill springs. changing wheels is not an option.

is it posible to put a spacer on the shock to give more hight and stiffness?