Brake discs so heavily corroded on 2 year old VW POLO Match 1.2 TSI 90 PS that they need replacing at service

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
JMB
New
Drives: Polo MAtch 1.2 TSI 90 PS 5

Brake discs so heavily corroded on 2 year old VW POLO Match 1.2 TSI 90 PS that they need replacing at service

Post by JMB »

Evening,

Today my 2 year old Polo Match 1.2 TSI 90PS, (2 year old to the week) returned to the VW dealership from whence it was purchased brand new, for its second service.
I'm no car techie, but would value you guys' opinions. The video came back that the front brake discs were corroded, and the rear brake discs so badly corroded that they need replacing, together with the pads, naturally. My car has done 13055 miles in the two years, on the same roads that served me well on my previous Polo which I bought from new and drove for over 10 years, and didn't have brake discs replaced at the two year service! It's only me that drives the car too. I've driven VWs for over 25 years.
Am I right to be feeling brake discs being replaced due to corrosion at two years of age is unacceptable? It cost me an extra £242.93 for the discs and pads. I've written to the branch service manager about my concerns, but want to be armed with a suitable reply when he gets back to me.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Brake discs so heavily corroded on 2 year old VW POLO Match 1.2 TSI 90 PS that they need replacing at service

Post by RUM4MO »

Hi, I missed seeing this as it is in the chassis area of the forum, feel it is best to open new threads in the main area for your model of Polo, which should be the 6R/6C Polo area for your car.

Okay, back to your issue, yes I think that it is shocking your discs need replacing at this age.

These rear discs on these small light cars do suffer badly due to lack of work which leaves them never getting very warm/hot so they never get dried off in wet weather, plus due to lack of work the braking surfaces do not get worn down and so kept clear of rust.

My wife's August 2015 Polo has roughly 24K miles and still has its original front and rear discs and pads, I tend to do most work on our cars, although that Polo was bought with a 3 year service package, so far I have removed and cleaned all the brakes after 2 years and will again after 4 years, then maybe every year after that, really to keep everything free to move and relatively clean.

One thing to note is, unless anything has changed, VW Group dealerships do not remove the wheels and clean up the brakes as part of any service, they just view the discs and pads in the passing and advise if or when any extra work is required to be carried out. I'd reckon that in your case, they were just giving you sensible advice but maybe also applying a bit of sales pressure to upsell extra work while they had the car in the workshop. I would not expect the genuine VW Group parts fitted to last any longer than the South African sourced original parts, but you might be lucky, I tend to buy brake parts from other sources and so pick maybe better spec of parts than VW Group source as standard spares.

Edit:- my wife's previous Polo was a 2002 model kept for 13 years and 105K miles, it only got its front and rear discs replaced once by me in all that time, probably original VW factory parts lasted for 5 years before the discs had got just too rusty.