Dodgy Turbo?

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
Mja
New

Dodgy Turbo?

Post by Mja »

The car - 6k 2001 1.9 S TDi Estate 51K miles
The problem - had the car 4 days now and i'd noticed a sort of flatspot at 2200-2300 rpm when accelerating. On the way home tonight, 1 minute accelerating the next not. Total lack of go from the engine, it was like driving a truck, slowing down and having to change down going up hills, and no familiar turbo whistle. :( Luckily we were only 2 miles from home, so got back ok. Left the car a while and gave it another try, all back to normal. So it would appear that the turbo is on its way out. Anybody had 1 go on them, and what was the total for the repair bill?
Sadgeek
Getting There!

Post by Sadgeek »

I've just got VAG-Com and travel Portsmouth - Bracknell daily...

If anyone has any ideas what to test, we can give it a try and see what the real story is. Might be your MAF, as those are notorious for giving up the ghost no matter what the mileage

We can check the turbo pressure without any difficulty (group 11 I think) and MAF too (group 3 I think). Once graphed, the story should become clearer
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

not sure how turbo dervs work, but if it was a petrol turbo engine i would suggest you check all pipes and joins to make sure everythings air tight and your not losing boost anywhere.
Mja
New

Post by Mja »

Well at the moment the car is back to normal, but if you could do that sadgeek it would be great. Is it possible that the turbo just stuck and once cooled, works normal again :?: Or maybe it is on its way out, and whats MAF short for?
Sadgeek
Getting There!

Post by Sadgeek »

Mja, you've got mail