Will changing ecu increase power?

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
Nelson_Wilbury

Will changing ecu increase power?

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

I've read that changing/modifying the ecu will increase bhp. If so, if I changed my ecu to one in a 65 bhp would I see any power gains? Also, could I go further and use FSi ecu etc etc?

Prbably more a question for VW technical but any information will help :?

Thanks
Neil
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

unfortunatly no it wont as the 65hp motor is probably different internally so there fore the mapping and cartografie (reference tables within the ecu) wouldn`t be any where near right. i dont think it would even start. however if you contact josh he sells the power systems and theese are a simple connector on diesels(no soldering) and give better gains n diesels than on petrols
sorry to sound negative
whitie
New

Post by whitie »

how about a mapable system, these r better than a Superchip
and can b mapped in the futre for ne mod u carry out on the engine

im lookin at Emerald at the moment,but ther r various others
in the £550 to £750 price range and then ther r a few in the £1000 to £2000 price range.

then thers 200 quid for a fully maped ECU on rolling roads
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

polo2k wrote:unfortunatly no it wont as the 65hp motor is probably different internally so there fore the mapping and cartografie (reference tables within the ecu) wouldn`t be any where near right. i dont think it would even start. however if you contact josh he sells the power systems and theese are a simple connector on diesels(no soldering) and give better gains n diesels than on petrols
sorry to sound negative
Polo2k

My car is going in for some warranty work tomorrow so I will ask tomorrow, that wasn't the news I was expecting though :cry:

I don't really want to start going as far a putting big bore exhausts etc on it. Just to get an extra 5bhp for overtaking purposes would be enough and I don't really want to pay more than £300 or buy anything that will invalidate the warranty. If I can get JUST 5bhp more out of it it'll get...

A) Lowered Suspension (already looking to lower it by an inch)
B) San Marino wheels (though I've heard if you had larger wheels it cancels some power out :-(
C) The new style wiper arm and blade (though not sure if you need to buy the motor as well)

So if ANYONE can give any advice PLEASE help!
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

yeah if the roling diameter gets bigger then you need more torque to acchive a certain acceleration. the up shot of this is that you can fit a bigger wheel and a thinner tyre. example: i went from 175/70/13 to 195/50/15 the wheel is larger but the sidewall is smaller so the overall diameter is the same (slightly larger in fact because the original size is halfway inbetween 50 profile and 45 profile) so the car accelerates as it did befor - the extra rolling resistance of wider tyres.
now about the ecu, your car is fairly new so its prolly still under warenty, if you fit an ecu you will loose this warenty. if you do need some warenty work done and you remove it then they can find out it was upgraded and then charge you for the work. the rolling road fee is a little deceptive because you need to spend that 200 quid every time you get remaped (unless thats a lifetime fee) so if you fit a filter and want it rr`ed its 200 qid then if you fit a cam it needs to be rr`ed. this is because when they remap an ecu it is optimally programed for that engine with those mods, so if you change a mod it is much less tolerant of it (stock ecu`s are very tolerant of mods as they are progammed the same for every car, and some engines are manufactured with imperfections and these still need to run on the same ecu hence strong engine)
the powerbox is connected between to connections
before wire-----><-------- ecu
after wire------>powerbox<------ ecu
this is done by placing the power system in line with the cable. if the car has to go under warenty then it can be removed and never traced because the original evu was still doing the desision making only with a little help.
the power systm is a lot cheaper than a full ecu and if you talk to most diesel tuners they will tell you good things about power boxes
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

I currently have the Melbourne wheels (195/55 R15) and want either the San Marino wheels or Barcelona with 205/45 R16, so thankfully my acceleration will probably stay the same.

This powerbox, what sort of power gains can I see from a 1.2 55bhp engine and who can provide one (and at what cost)?

Thanks

Neil
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

if you ask josh he is the official uk distributor i think and prolly at least 10 hp
whitie
New

Post by whitie »

is this the same as a piggy bk ecu???????
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

same principle but these are mounted differently.
piggy back ecu: you have to open up the ecu and solder another chip over the original one. this makes it very risky and difficult.
powerbox:
diesel: unplug a connector and put the powerbox in the gap between the other 2
petrol: cut one wire and put the powerbox in line with it (so all current in the wire goes through the powerbox) then strip a little off three other wires and attach (solder) 3 wires from the powerbox
whitie
New

Post by whitie »

on seatcupra.net ther all goin mad about REVO
thers an add in PVW
and i must say...I WANT!!!!!!
500 quid +VAT and they do the same or better then ne chip(so the peeps that hav had it done say).
they acces the VAG port and reprogram ur ECUs chip...leavin no trace on modification................howeva,this is for turbo cars(i think)so will only apply to me wen i (if i eva)get the turbo lump in my polo :roll:
Miguel
New

Post by Miguel »

whitie wrote:on seatcupra.net ther all goin mad about REVO
thers an add in PVW
and i must say...I WANT!!!!!!
500 quid +VAT and they do the same or better then ne chip(so the peeps that hav had it done say).
they acces the VAG port and reprogram ur ECUs chip...leavin no trace on modification................howeva,this is for turbo cars(i think)so will only apply to me wen i (if i eva)get the turbo lump in my polo :roll:

Revo have programs for TDI engines also , and for NA engines will be ready late this year, I am Revo dealer for Mexico, we had remaped about 40 cars whith zero problems, we only conect the programer to reflash ECU via OBD2 for 10 minutes and it's done !
www.revotechnik.com