Mk2 coupe S 3F GT engine conversion

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
dub_nutta
New

Mk2 coupe S 3F GT engine conversion

Post by dub_nutta »

Hi

I am planning on converting my 88 Mk2 coupe S to MP! and fitting a 3F Mk3 GT engine. Can anyone give me a genral run down on what needs to be done and more importantly the exact parts i need to request from the breakers.

I have heard people say that the fuel tank needs changing but i think if i fit the sender/lift pump assembely from the GT and jsut link the two outlets at the bottom of the tank together to blank them off then the old tank could be used. Also w could i not jsut use the outlets at the bottom of the tank for the feed to the pump, just mount the pump near the outlet and have it gravity fed like so many of the fuel injected Golf's are.

Any tips about wireing and posible problems much apreciated.

Thanks
Ray Richards
amstrange1
Silver Member

Post by amstrange1 »

Speak to Alan Lawrence (he's on the Club Polo Yahoo E-group, or on www.porka.net as poloace). He's done exactly the same conversion that you are planning and should be able to offer you some advice. From memory I think with some later models you don't need to change the fuel tank, but you do need the lift pump and in-line fuel pumps from the GT. Best to speak to Alan though!
toXXin

Post by toXXin »

Funny, I said speak to Alan as well...this was a couple of days back!
amstrange1
Silver Member

Post by amstrange1 »

I think Ray's already asked the question on the Club Polo group, Mark H beat Alan to answering though! Good luck with whatever you decide to do mate.