Polo 1.4 cutting out - help

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
Impreza Boy
New

Polo 1.4 cutting out - help

Post by Impreza Boy »

One of my workmates has a 1.4l Polo (52 plate) and he's been having a problem with it. Can anyone figure out what is going on as the garage says its ok. Here goes:

Twice now on the way home from work he's been driving along at a constant 70/80mph and the car has suddenly lost power (with an associated 'warning light' on the dash). He says that the car basically 'cuts out' and he has to pull over. But, a few minutes of rest later and it can be started and drives normally Another workmate has a 1.6 golf and said he's had the same problem once as well. As its so intermittent the garage don't know what it is but understandably my friend is worried about it happening again.

Any help appreciated
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

does the engine just cut out like a click or does it die over several seconds
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

Could be the coil pack
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

lol @ des :lol:
Impreza Boy
New

Post by Impreza Boy »

He says it is like someone has turned off the engine. One minutes he's happily cruising along the next minute its dead and the speed is dropping (engine braking)

He's fairly certain it stalls and he has to start it again.
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

im with des on this seen as its bolted to the end of the head

the way to test it is to start the engine at night and then open the bonnet and spray a fine mist of water at the lack box where all the ht leads go and if it all lights up then go to vw and go MeNtAl
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

I doubt it'd be coils. If it were coils the management light would be on constantly and you'd get mis-firing.
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

think about it cos the engine cuts out when hot which heats uop the coils and then if there are any cracks then they open and let water in causing a miss. when the engine has cooled (10 min) then the cracks close a little and no more water so no more miss fire
its somthing im casually investigating cos i occasionally get a miss at low rpm under gentle driving but it never happens when im gunning it and ive done the plugs mext is the ht leads and then if its still there try a new coil :( cos there $$$
oh btw try the plugs first cos i once managed to kill 2 mid corner (kinda scary when the engine cuts out and the rear over takes the front) they tried to blame it on the k&n but changed them any way till i did another and then one more after. since ive been using ngk platinums which were i beleve the first of that type in france :D
also have a little play with the plugs on the tb cos theres quite a few and i know one of mine came from the factory not properly attached and also the gasket in between the TB and the inlet "manifold"
david burton

Post by david burton »

I know this is an old post, but a common problem with vw's cutting out is due to the fuel pump relay breaking down. It's happened to 2 friends of mine and if you look about on the net it appears to be a very common problem. Apparently they are not very robust and the circuit can crack. Worth checking out if he's still having these intermittent problems.

Dave