What is this unused sensor on my gti??

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
maidenboy
Getting There!

What is this unused sensor on my gti??

Post by maidenboy »

Right folks, got a real quick one for you, on my 2000 gti, if you have the cover removed, on the front of the block, above the exhaust manifold, top right. There is a sensor(just below the rocker cover) this is fine, but just around to the right, at the same height there is clearly another electronic sensor in the block. Mine has nothing connected to it...!! Any clue what it could be? I'm trying to make her immaculate, want to check it's not needed (I.e a service sensor??) any help would be greatly appreciated..
maidenboy
Getting There!

Re: What is this unused sensor on my gti??

Post by maidenboy »

At last.. Any ideas?
georgen
Bronze Member

Re: What is this unused sensor on my gti??

Post by georgen »

Its a old post but in-case someone needs to know, I'm pretty sure its a temp sensor for the variable valve gubins, it was fitted to the earlier ARC engines but not to the later AVY engines. so ARC powered cars should have a wire to go to this, AVY ones don't have sensor or wire and hole is blanked with a small core plug.
don't bother asking VW about this sensor as I need one and they have no record of it and cant find any records of it even after I give them reg and chassis number of a car I know has it, Thanks Mandy.
George