polo 1.4 16v s.e with issues help and suggestions needed

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
6n2_driver
New

Post by 6n2_driver »

I bought this polo with a quite a few issues with the intent to sort then out witch is turning into alot of hassle. The main 1 was the dreaded blue smoke witch was believed to be valve stem oil seals witch turned out to be piston rings :( so i ripped the block out stripped it and rebuilt pretty much everything. after putting it back together and getting it running i was hoping it may have solved the other issues but i didnt. They are as follows struggles to start, no rev counter, it cuts out if u let the revs drop to quickly and the oil light is flashing witch is new. Im thinking its a electrical problem i.e a sensor or something but the only fault that comes back after resetting everything is no rpm signal, but rpm can be seen on the scanner :? . Is the rev counter controlled by the crank sensor witch reads of the fly wheel on these? has any1 had these issues b4 or no any solutions for these problems. We will be working through everything till we find the answer but if u can speed it up it'll be much appreciated. Ill be updating as i go thanks alot for reading...
f6had
Bronze Member

Re: polo 1.4 16v s.e with issues help and suggestions needed

Post by f6had »

Are you saying the engine is starting and you can drive for a while i.e there is enough compression? Is it then losing compression?

Yes in principle could be a crank or cam sensor as ECU needs to take signals from both to understand position of cam and crank before cranking.. I would go over your work with a fine tooth comb, check and recheck everything again.

I know it sounds obvious mate, but kudos for DIY'ing this - doing rings is a bloody big job.
benmkiv
Platinum Member

Post by benmkiv »

Mate had this on a 1.4 16valver the engines are terrible lost compression in three of the four cylinders due to general wear and tear. Could just be a loose connection gratz for sorting this yourself though and good luck with the rest! :)