1.4 tdi..what to do?!

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
greypolo9n3
Gold Member
Drives: white 6r 1.6 tdi rline/gti

1.4 tdi..what to do?!

Post by greypolo9n3 »

I have my polo 80bhp tdi...ive done all the outside bits...(pics will be up shortly, im sure you will love!)

Even got the silencer removed and booyyy it makes a nice noise...

Now i want to do something about the engine to make it go like it looks...any ideas?
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Re: 1.4 tdi..what to do?!

Post by Ben90 »

Stage 1 remap is a start, that'll get you to about 100-110bhp

As for tuning beyond that, I suppose since it's the same engine as the 1.9s but with a cylinder lopped off you'll want to start looking at upgrading the turbo and injectors. pd100+ bits from a golf/octavia/fabia vrs should fit directly to your engine like they do the 4 cyls, in the case of the turbo you'll probably need to take the donor exhaust manifold too, cut a branch off and weld it up. On the bright side you'll only need to buy three injectors! :wink:

As for the size of turbo it depends what power you want out of it. a pd100 turbo that's in most 1.9 TDis is good for around 140bhp, widely available and cheaper, a pd130/150 is good for about 180.. whether a 1.4 can be pushed that far is a different question! Look forward to seeing your progress :D
greypolo9n3
Gold Member

Post by greypolo9n3 »

Ben90 wrote:Stage 1 remap is a start, that'll get you to about 100-110bhp

As for tuning beyond that, I suppose since it's the same engine as the 1.9s but with a cylinder lopped off you'll want to start looking at upgrading the turbo and injectors. pd100+ bits from a golf/octavia/fabia vrs should fit directly to your engine like they do the 4 cyls, in the case of the turbo you'll probably need to take the donor exhaust manifold too, cut a branch off and weld it up. On the bright side you'll only need to buy three injectors! :wink:

As for the size of turbo it depends what power you want out of it. a pd100 turbo that's in most 1.9 TDis is good for around 140bhp, widely available and cheaper, a pd130/150 is good for about 180.. whether a 1.4 can be pushed that far is a different question! Look forward to seeing your progress :D
What you just said is exactly what i have in mind! lol...ive had bad experience with flywheels before but oh well....

i dont think ill get 140 out of it tbh...but will see when i have the time and money :)...its done 122k miles and still going very very strong!
Ben90
Silver Member

Post by Ben90 »

greypolo9n3 wrote:i dont think ill get 140 out of it tbh...but will see when i have the time and money :)...its done 122k miles and still going very very strong!
No I don't think so either but that's what the limitation is on the pd100, the stock turbo runs out of puff. Since you're likely to go below that a pd100 turbo is all you'll need if you're considering upgrading it. More widely available secondhand compared to the pd150s etc

Start with a stage 1 and go from there. That's where you'll notice the most significant gains and you may well be happy with just that! I'm happy with the stage 1 on mine :D
greypolo9n3
Gold Member

Post by greypolo9n3 »

Ben90 wrote:
greypolo9n3 wrote:i dont think ill get 140 out of it tbh...but will see when i have the time and money :)...its done 122k miles and still going very very strong!
No I don't think so either but that's what the limitation is on the pd100, the stock turbo runs out of puff. Since you're likely to go below that a pd100 turbo is all you'll need if you're considering upgrading it. More widely available secondhand compared to the pd150s etc

Start with a stage 1 and go from there. That's where you'll notice the most significant gains and you may well be happy with just that! I'm happy with the stage 1 on mine :D
thanks for that. 1.4 is small and dingy...but id never replace it with a 1.9 for some reason i dont know why lol
Ben90
Silver Member

Post by Ben90 »

There's not an awful lot in it really, a small difference in horsepower is pretty much made up for by the difference in weight of the 1.4, my boss as one and it feels just as pokey off the line and more nimble.
greypolo9n3
Gold Member

Post by greypolo9n3 »

Ben90 wrote:There's not an awful lot in it really, a small difference in horsepower is pretty much made up for by the difference in weight of the 1.4, my boss as one and it feels just as pokey off the line and more nimble.
all i know is, my cousin had a 6n2 70bhp, with a pd130 turbo and pd130 injectors with a remap and that thing moved!...i got 125 mph out of it.... :twisted: