P0302 again

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
arrrggghhh
New
Drives: Polo 2004 1.4 automatic

P0302 again

Post by arrrggghhh »

Hello

About a year ago my wife ran her car out of oil. This then made the coil packs and cat die.
Ive managed to get her driving again and when the car is running it's a sweet little motor.
But, every couple of months a coil pack dies. And yet again cylinder no.2 is misfiring.
I know that if I go to the shop and replace the coil pack all will run fine for a while.
Does anybody know why this keeps happening.
I know some of you will say "your stupid wife ran it out of oil" and that's what I keep telling her,
But is there another component that makes the coil pack die or is it that I purchased aftermarket coil
Packs from GFS and they are just cheap and therefore will only last a few months.

The car is a 2004 1.4 polo automatic. Millage 80k
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: P0302 again

Post by alexperkins »

Are you buying the bosch ones that GSF sell?

Have you changed the spark plugs at all? Its quite possible Cylinder 2 has a duff spark plug.

Nice to see another member from Poole :)
arrrggghhh
New

Post by arrrggghhh »

Thanks for the reply Alex, ye nice to see your a local.

I've serviced the car twice since the incident.

I do buy the cheaper pattern copy coil packs ( £22 each) as the bosch ones are nearly £60. So I'm fearing that by me being a tight git, the coils don't last. But saying that I'd expect them to last a couple of years.
I'm wondering that by the car being driven for nearly 100 miles with no oil, she has done some damage to other parts of the engine, which are causing the engine to fail the coil packs prematurely.

Has anybody else used the cheap £22 coils from GFS. And how did you find there performance?
I know on my car ( Vauxhall omega 2.6) that cheap coil packs are not very long lasting, especially when driven hard. I now run bosch in my car and so far they haven't died.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Presumably thats including spark plugs then yeah? If so, what brand?

The cheap coil packs should last longer than they are lasting, but they are notorious for failure.

I can get genuine brand new VW coil packs for £26+vat if you wanted to go down that route?

100 miles with absolutely no oil can do all kinds of damage to the engine. Im surprised it didnt seize up!
arrrggghhh
New

Post by arrrggghhh »

Yes I was surprised she didn't seize the engine. She even drove back from Blandford on 3 cylinders after it ran out of oil. And in an automatic that's quite impressive. So I'm very impressed with the VW engine. And I'm considering rebuilding the engine when my work slows down over the winter. So I'm sure I'll be on here asking for more advice when I'm undertaking this.

The spark plugs were either ngk or bosh but I can't remember. I expect they were the bosh ones.

Thanks for the advice on VW coils, I just assumed they would be expensive from main dealer. I'll give them a ring later and order some up.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Cool

From VW theyll be, broadly speaking, around £36 plus VAT

I have a VW trade account so I get things cheaper :)