Engine juddering at approx 2000rpm

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
KVMan
New
Drives: 2002 1.9 TDI

Engine juddering at approx 2000rpm

Post by KVMan »

Hi guys

I'm new to these forums and lacking in anything other than basic car knowledge, so hoping you guys could help me out.

I have a 2002 Polo 1.9 TDI, and for the last 2 months - after around 20 minutes in to a journey - my engine has started to judder pretty aggressively when I'm accelerating at approx 2000rpm (this happens at low and high speeds). The whole car shakes, and there seems to be resistance on the pedal when accelerating, making the car lurch forward as the car's accelerating, although there hasn't been any loss of power and I am still able to get to speeds of 70/80mph. (although the resistance does seem to prevent overtaking suddenly). When I ease off the acceleration pedal, the juddering calms, however it is still there.

Rev counter and speedometer both look fine, with no hesitation in the rev counter. No sign of smoke. There is currently no engine light coming on and there are no fault codes coming up on the diagnostic scanner.

When I come to a stop, the engine is shaking all over the place and chugging away. The problem usually goes away/resets after I restart the car but can sometimes reappear with in a minute.

My garage gave me some Turbo and injector cleaner and neither seem to have solved the problem. The car was serviced around 7 months ago. I've driven over over 1000 miles since it happened and would like to get this fixed asap. With the garage not finding anything on the diagnostics, what is the best route to go down next?

Think that's everything to mention!

Thanks in advance!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Engine juddering at approx 2000rpm

Post by alexperkins »

I would say its either a dodgy spark plug or faulty coil pack. Sounds like its intermittently misfiring once it warms up
KVMan
New

Post by KVMan »

alexperkins wrote:I would say its either a dodgy spark plug or faulty coil pack. Sounds like its intermittently misfiring once it warms up
I thought diesel engines don't have spark plugs or coil packs? I could be wrong, but I've always thought they didn't. Any idea what else it could be if not?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Totally read that as petrol! Oops

When was the diesel filter last changed? Same goes for the air filter too

Post by Guest »

If filters are good then you may have to get it back on the diagnostic as the engines are known for injector problems. (1) If you can have a look at the injector deviation valves in the measure blocks should be within a certain range. (2) try to compare values from when engine is running ok then when you have been for a drive and when fault is occurring. (3) also worth note that the loom from cylinder head multi plug too injectors break down and give a high resistance causing rough running. Regards dipstr.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
dipstr
Getting There!
Drives: 6n2 gti

Post by dipstr »

If filters are good then you may have to get it back on the diagnostic as the engines are known for injector problems. (1) If you can have a look at the injector deviation valves in the measure blocks should be within a certain range. (2) try to compare values from when engine is running ok then when you have been for a drive and when fault is occurring. (3) also worth note that the loom from cylinder head multi plug too injectors break down and give a high resistance causing rough running. Regards dipstr.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
KVMan
New

Post by KVMan »

Hi guys

Sorry for the delay in getting back.

Just to let you know the problem was resolved. It was indeed the injector loom, as Dipstr suggested, causing all the troubles.

Cheers for all your responses! Really appreciate it.
erin.shorrock
New

Post by erin.shorrock »

I'm having the same problem with a 1.2 petrol I was told it was the coil pack and I've have them changed 4 times now and it keeps happening I don't know what to do can someone help me please