Car starts, then dies after a couple of minutes

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
6n2Canyon
New
Drives: Polo 6n2 1.4 16V AUA

Car starts, then dies after a couple of minutes

Post by 6n2Canyon »

Hi Guys,

first of all i apologise if this has already been asked, I've had a look through the forum but cannot find anything related.

I have a 6n2 1.4 16V AUA, starts fine first time, idles around 1100 RPM first thing in the morning, when the revs start to settle (usually idles around 850 when warm) to around 1050, and starts to sound very lumpy, if i leave it long enough without putting the throttle down, it will start to hesitate to the point where the revs go down to around 500-600 RPM, then would eventually cut out, but then starts up again first time!

If i rev it a few times as stated above, it won't cut out and doesn't become lumpy, when i start the car, and drive it within around a minute of starting it up, the car hesitates like it's misfiring, this only happens for around half a mile, but it doesn't throw any codes up. When the cars starts to warm up, the car runs perfect.

The code that keeps showing is P0135, which is the Manifold O2 sensor i believe? But this has been on before this issue started :oops:

I've done the following since the issue has been happening:

Service, including fuel filter and air filter, removed the throttle body and cleaned it, cleaned the airbox and ensured the oil breather was not clogged up, have changed the ignition coil, leads and plugs, Alternator and battery have also been replaced due to a non related issue, and now i'm at a dead end, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Car starts, then dies after a couple of minutes

Post by alexperkins »

Check the wiring on the lambda sensor plug in front of the gearbox. This often splits causing a lot of issues
6n2Canyon
New
Drives: Polo 6n2 1.4 16V AUA

Post by 6n2Canyon »

Thanks for the reply Alex, the cabling on the sensor looks OK, is there a way to check the sensor without replacing it?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

If you have VCDS, you can run diagnostics against it to check its reading properly

Ideally you need the VCDS fault code as itll give more info than the generic P0135 code.