this could be a plan

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

this could be a plan

Post by polo2k »

right then as some of you know i am looking into forcing a little more air into my polo by one means or another and ive had a few ideas:

R5 GTT blower and doubled head gasket with bigger injectors

g40 blower and thicker gasket

and today i thought this one up that might be the most reliable
stock block with G40 pistons (forged as stock i think) and a 1.6 bottom end and rods, double head gasket, bigger injectors and a g60 blower
this is for an AUD engine 1.4 8v mpi so if any one can supply some measurements from the wrist pin to the piston deck or how much air the g60 blower shifts at different rpm (pully rpm) i would be grateful
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

May be a stupid question, but why not consider a standard Audi TT engine? Even in stock form they push out serious power, and you'll have much less reliability issues I assume. The biggest problem is mounting the damn thing, but I'm confident you'll be able to sort that out...

It's been done, and I know you want to! (I know I want to...!)
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

well firstly theres the fitting which can cause more reliability problems then theres the electrical which is a nightmare and also in france your not allowed to worify the engine/ fit an engine thats non homologated (oops) so i was thinking that i could class the charger as a bolt on :wink:
in france you can do filter and exaust but then by law you must stop (no ecu`s, no cams etc)
as for reliability i chose the g40 pistons as they are ( i assume) stronger and the 1.6 bottom end for displacement and then since the g60 is a 1.8 then if i run a g60 charger with a bigger pully then it will keep boost down and at high revs and the injectors are so that i can keep up to the air flow
also i recon i might be able to source all the parts above for around £6-700 wheras a tt engine alone is prolly in the reigon of 1500-2000£
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

How about:

Complete G40 engine
or even
Complete G60 engine

Both of these have been done in a Mk 4 Polo before.
KarlM

Post by KarlM »

On reflection i think a turbo would probably suit your driving 'stlye' better. My reasoning is...

Turbos are cheaper, blowing supercharger up will completly wipe out your bank balance.

a big power turbo will deliver power higher up in the rev range, which will offest the torque that 8v generate. which means you'll have a motor with a lot of torque for daily driving, and then when you drive in attack mode you'll have a massive about of power when the turbo kicks in!

Just my opinion.
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

thats why i was thinking GTT tuyrbo because there 1.4 so do you recon g40 pistonns could hold boost but then i need to make a manifold grr
KarlM

Post by KarlM »

I can't see why not, i've seen G40 engines with 200bhp that are still running standard pistons, just with a bit if head and valve work.

I think the head gasket will be the weak point here, might be better looking for a VW motorsport gasket or a uprated metal one.

What are you doing for wiring? a G40 loom would work wouldn't it?
KarlM

Post by KarlM »

as for the manifold, it woul be good to speak to a local metal factor, if you give them your standard mainfold and tell them how you want it altering, they should be able to do it for you at a cost. i know this is how a lot of turbo conversions are done.
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

the problem is that on the mk5 there isnt much room roung the manifold plus id end up with crazy oil temps because the oil filter is between the manifold and alternator
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

AFAIK the G40 engine has sodium filled valves to help stand higher temps. The pistons and rings may be the same as other 1300 Mk'3 but I'm not entirely sure.

I know someone who has put a turbo on a G40 engine, but ended up melting a piston ring from running too much boost. I think he uses water injection to help keep it cooler now, and run lower boost.

There is the TSR turbo conversion for the Mk 4 1400 8v, but i presume yours is slightly different.

Getting a manifold in that space will be tight. But as it would be custom, you should be able to sort something out.
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

at the moment im really laening towards the g40 blower and pistons and then some bigger injectors and if i can find someone to do the head then possibly golf 2 16v gti valves after you mentioned the sodium
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

What if you relocate the battery, and washer fluid bottle to the boot, you will clear up some space in the engine compartment to allow for these bolt on's. You'd also be redistributing a few KG to the back of the car effectively blancing it out.
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

balencing it out? have you seen my boot?
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

I see your point on the cost and legal issues. Not easy. Plus, you're confident on the mating of the different engines, so I guess you can go for that...

Good luck either way mate.

8)
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

well i was talking to my brother who works on a boat and opne of his customers was the guy who designed the 110tdi as per the golf so hes going to try and get me some technical sheets on the aud engine and the g40 engine