Carpark dinges!! :X

Detailing & Bodywork
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Carpark dinges!! :X

Post by Tim_GTi »

Whats good for removing paint from other cars from those annoying carpark dinges you get? I've got a multi-coloured passengers side at present :x
SiDaBa
Sponsor

Post by SiDaBa »

I don't know whether it's recommended or bad practise as sadly I know nothing about detailing but my clay bar managed to removed a nice big green paint mark i had down my drivers door :).

I will also be trying this on the random graze I have on my grille. God knows how someone managed to hit solely my grille and nothing else. :roll:
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Yeh Clay bar was gunan be my next move. I cna see a good long couple of days spent detailing coming up!
92 rocks
Bronze Member

Post by 92 rocks »

white spirit mate
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Wouldn't that damage the paint work?
baileysufc
New

Post by baileysufc »

dpedns mate we use thinners at work to gets stuff of or use a cuttign compond like farlecla(SP) or t cut
but dnt use it or any other substance liek it or white spirt if the paint work is broken as it will strip the paint

troy
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Cheers for the info
CTR
New

Post by CTR »

Thinners won't do much as theres no solvent in that paint. Whats happened is, when your paintwork is scratched by another car, they have left some of their paint on your by embedding it in tiny grooves.

Now, it all depends on how deep the scratches are. As a rule of thumb, rub you finger nail against the scratches. If it catches then its likely to be into the basecoat (the colour coat). In which case its likely to be a respray.

If however it is a light scuff and your nail doesn't really catch, it is probably only in the lacquer. You can then wet sand it with very fine sand paper (something like P > 1200) then apply rubbing compound to bring the shine back.
92 rocks
Bronze Member

Post by 92 rocks »

if paint isnt broken, drop of white spirit on cotton wool, simple n cheap but strips paint down to clear lacquer so repolish after