What is best???

Detailing & Bodywork
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

Trottagti wrote:Dude its LOADS OF WORK, lol

What are u spraying 1st of all like what part of car isit and are they new panels or old, plastic, damaged or painted already???? Cheers dude
New metal wing and new plastic bumper if that helps, thanks again :)

I'm up for the challenge :P haha
b-random
Bronze Member

Post by b-random »

You mite need to heat that after to cook the paint properly so the finished results look better
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

b-random wrote:You mite need to heat that after to cook the paint properly so the finished results look better
Got told thats for only water based paints where they put you in an oven, plus you will never get the paint looking identical due to many different variable factors, from humidity, to temperature, to thickness of layer to how many layers etc, but as long as it looks very close I won't be fussed otherwise blending would need to be done.
Trottagti
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Trottagti »

Writ now for the pro lol,

Writ 1st you will need to get ur colour matched and i wouldnt go halfords id go to a place where they match it better like a different motor trade shop!

Ur goin to need primers and halfords primers will be fine, metal primer for ur metal wing, and plastic primer for ur plastic wing.

U need to get some abrasives to key up ur metal and plastic like 500 for metal as it will more than likely have an e coat wich will be black and making it look matt with the 500 grit is best not to sharp, not to soft so 500 grit is best. And for ur plastic id use the same just key the plastic up in every little crevess making sure u get everywhere,

You will need to blow off ur bumper and wing to remove dust from rubbing down, and get some cleaning agent for metal and for your plastic and rags to clean it off, one rag for putting the cleaners on and one to remove it!

Using different rags for both cleaners, make sure u get everywhere!!!!!!!!

Then apply water around ur floor to help keep inclusions out it helps, little trick there for ya!

Now apply ur primer until u have coloured out ur wing and bumpers, follow the guidelines on the can but id say wait 15-20 mins inbetween coats and a hair dryer will help speed up the drying time, apply 3 coats minimum if ur sanding the wing and bumper down if not then wet on wet it after ur 2nd coat with ur colour, same again wait 15 mins inbetween coats until u have coloured out ur primers on both wing and bumper, making sure u have dryed it over with a cold air dryer to take out the water based moister in the base coat, basically til it goes matt lookin then apply ur coats!

Minimum of coats id say 3, but see what u get 1st if u get halfords paint then yeah 3 coats is enuf,

U can put as many as u like until ur happy with the colouring out really aslong as u wait 15 mins inbetween coats,

Then apply ur clear coat, gingerly with the first coat just get the wing and bumper wet looking, then wait 15 mins, and apply ur 2nd coat pretty wet, and again wait, drying ur clear coat with warm air from a hair dryer will stop it running if u have applyed it rather to much, speeds up the drying time, and until ur happy with the result like a good shine to it, BOBS UR UNCLE, MARFERS UR AUNT!

Think iv coverd everything there!

No need to bake it just make the place ur spraying pretty warm and over night will be ok, but the warmer the better

AND U MUST WEAR A MASK WHEN RUBBING DOWN EVERYTHING AND ESPECIALLY WEN SPRAYING, ONCE UV SPRAYED UR PAINT, AND DRYED FOR A LITTLE GET SOME AIR IN UR LUNGS LOL!

Hope iv helped a little, let me no wot paint u get then away u go pal!!!
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

Many thanks Trot! looks like I need a hell lot more primer and a mask then, but I'm gonna see if I can use my girlfriends uncle repair center to do it in. But from all this I think I'm ready, many thanks again :D
Trottagti
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Trottagti »

Ha yeah u probally will mate, hope it all comes out well, stock up on the primer and cleaner!!