What filler?

Detailing & Bodywork
Polo96CL
Platinum Member

What filler?

Post by Polo96CL »

I'm going to (at some point) fix the rust patch on my door and I just need to know what filler to use. I'll sand down the door area and try to remove all rust so its ground down back to the metal. I'll then treat it will a rust protection, fill it with filler and then do the sanding etc until its done. However... I need to know what filler to use and how to use it. Do I go for a fibreglass & resin option instead or do I use filler? Any recommended products?

Cheers
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

depending on how bad the rust it would it be better to get a body shop to weld a new bit of metal in place?

failing that there is a metal filler i have, used it to refurb my alloys and it works great. not sure the name of it but its in a black tin i think the writing is red and it even says ont he tin "like replacing metal with metal" great stuff and got it from halfords. very easy to sand and work with.
Polo96CL
Platinum Member

Post by Polo96CL »

The rust is very light and could be called "surface rust"? where the paint has bubbled and the rust is exposed. I can't see why it couldn't easily be ground back to the bare metal and filled?
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

since as u describe it, it isnt that bad, then yea maybe u can. im no expert tho on rust but that filler might be ok for u then. it worked on my alloys.

only one way to find out :)