Paint on Flash Red 9n3....

Detailing & Bodywork
Daz_18T
Getting There!

Paint on Flash Red 9n3....

Post by Daz_18T »

Anyone else get problems with Stone Chips ? I mean everywhere, mainly bonnet, but now seen a few on roof, I am considering having a clear protective pastic shield fitted on the problem areas, wondered if anyone else has had similar problems and what you did to resolve this problem ?
And no we don't drive up other cars or waggons arses, we have a silver 9n that has hardly any issues with stone chips WTF ? :lol: only real problem I have with this car is this problem, any help or advise much appreciated. :wink:
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Paint on Flash Red 9n3....

Post by alexperkins »

Red is a soft paint due to the pigment. It's always worse on red cars sadly. All my flash red polos have had the same problem.
Daz_18T
Getting There!

Post by Daz_18T »

Cheers for your experience Alex, 8) love this car, but enough is enough where this stone chips are concerned, gonna get the troubled panels painted and then go for this Venture Shield, which looks top draw, let's give it a go. :wink:
Venture Shield
aarongti
New

Post by aarongti »

All cars and paint is different, red paint is soft because of the pigment? Completely wrong.
Anyway it doesnt matter how hard or soft the base coat or colour layer is because then clarcoat is applied iver the top.
Usually VW clear is tough certainly from my experience most of it is.
These things happen, unfortunately you cant get away from stone chips, however there is a coating that could help..

Venture shield may do well in protecting the paint underneath but it does have its downsides too, have you seen how it looks under a light source? The peel and lack of clarity it has compated to bare paint?